The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched in this forum and google and couldn't find any reviews on these reactors.

I'm using a DIY reactor with DIY CO2 using a water bottle but is ugly as hell. These reactors go for about 10 bucks. The second reactor seems interesting. Comments?

·
Registered
745 Posts
i used one for 2months or so (about 3yrs back when I first started)...it works fine but eventually becomes an eye sore as the inside fills with bioslime and turns from transparent green to dark brown...plus it takes up alotta space in teh tank that could be used

...so I did an external rex grigg style reactor and have been very happy with that since

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
$30? I made two for under $25
After a string of mishaps that would amount to about $200 for me. ;)

This does not include the damage incurred if I accidentally catch something on fire and burn down my house or spend quality free time in the emergency room suffering a loss of limb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it's just me, but the illustration looks nothing like the photo.
They are two different reactors. The top pictures only use bioballs and it runs for about $10. The second picture is another reactor. It runs for $20 and apparently it creates a vortex/hurricane inside the reactor.

Are the rexx reactors okay with DIY CO2?

I know that some people have problems with the glass diffusers because DIY CO2 doesn't provide enough pressure.

I own a SunSun Canister 302b.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Rex made them in bulk, which changes the pricing a lot. If you buy tons of parts/cement and put them all together at once it's much easier. If you make them identical and are practiced in the design/build even more easy.

If someone is building a rg reactor and has none of the parts, none of the cement, etc. it's going to cost them around 30 bucks for the parts in my experience. The cement was $5 for the primer and $5 for the cement so there's 10 bucks right there.

And doing PVC cement for the first time is a bit daunting, despite how easy and simple it is. So, for a first timer DIY of a rg reactor I would budget at least $30 and at least 3 hours when you factor in finding/getting the parts, learning how to build it, questions, etc.

I dont know why, but some people feel this need to make the rg reactor cheaper and easier than it is. It's pretty cheap and easy, but why exaggerate?

·
Registered
14 Posts
An external counter flow reactor(a la rex griggs) would be fine with DIY CO2, if you're running a cannister or other external filter that would be the way to go for eyesore prevention. If you're running an HOB and have a powerhead, put the powerhead on reverse flow and get some UG filter tubing to hook onto the powerhead and put the CO2 feed line about halfway up the tubing for a simple internal counterflow reactor that shouldn't be too hard to hide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a SunSun canister. Right now I am using a powerhead and a water bottle as the reactor.

It is an eye sore and takes up space.

Is Rex still selling these reactors? Will I need to find fittings for the SunSun canister's hoses?

Sera Flore makes a reactor but it goes for $60 and I am not sure if it would fit the hoses I have.

http://www.aquabuys.com/p/sera-flore-co2-reactor-1000.html

Edit:

I guess it fits

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a SunSun canister. Right now I am using a powerhead and a water bottle as the reactor.

It is an eye sore and takes up space.

I guess it fits

Shut the front door.. doesn't this look familiar.

I will guess that this is a newer SunSun unit then?

They are really cheap, I don't care about ugly since it will be banished into the bowels of my cabinet never to see the light of day until said time I decide to maintain it. It is miles cheaper than any other canister of that size so I am all for it. I have heard good things about them too. How do you like yours other than it is ugly as heck?

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Use Inline co2 atomizer. There is a seller in ebay from Brooklyn. Easy to use,maintain and hide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shut the front door.. doesn't this look familiar.

I will guess that this is a newer SunSun unit then?

They are really cheap, I don't care about ugly since it will be banished into the bowels of my cabinet never to see the light of day until said time I decide to maintain it. It is miles cheaper than any other canister of that size so I am all for it. I have heard good things about them too. How do you like yours other than it is ugly as heck?
I spent around 45 bucks for the 302 model (264gph). It is decent. A lot of people like them. There is a long thread about the SunSun filters.

Personally, I think it's okay. It gets the job done BUT I have my issues with it.
-It uses a basket system so it is a pain to clean.
-In addition to this, the baskets - as well as the intake and output tubes - are made out of paper-thin plastic making it really easy to break if you are not careful
-If you break the baskets, I think the filter is useless
-There is some water bypass. I fed my Co2 tubing in the intake and the bubbles went right through the filter and sprayed all over my tank. This was at maybe 1 bubble per 5 seconds.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get a Eheim classic as those do not use a basket system and has zero bypass

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Confused here? you'r using DIY co2 than, how about the picture with co2 tank? I doubt if DIY co2 works with atomizer.
Oh. I found that picture somewhere in this forum. I just put it up just to state that the Sera Flore reactor is compatible with the SunSun's hoses with no adapter/reducer.

Anyhow, to clarify things. I have a DIY CO2 set up. I think I wrote that in my first post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.