The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an overflow/sump filter for my recent 130gal planted discus tank. At the moment, I am using a Quiet One 6000 as a return pump from the sump. It hits a double Pentair micron filter module prior to returning to the tank.

I currently have a closed loop set up in the sump for my fluidized filter and CO2 injection into a venturi. This is run with a Quiet One 3000 pump.

I am thinking about having the output from the venturi part of this closed loop enter the return line after the Quiet One 6000 but before the micron filter. My thinking is that this will increase the return flow to the tank and provide better CO2 diffusion into the water.

I envision putting a T fitting before the micron filter to add in the Quiet One 3000 output and putting check valves on the output of both the Quiet One pumps. The pressure in the line prior to the micron filter is less than 5 psi.

Does anyone see a problem with this idea? Bad idea to combine the outputs of two pumps into one return line? I could also run a return line from the 3000 to the tank independantly, but this would be bypassing the micron filter and necessitate the addition of more tubes in the tank.

Link to a not very helpful picture of my tank. http://picasaweb.google.com/chupacabra.desch/FishPics/photo#5054377472946026834

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you wanting to do this because you don't think you're getting enough flow from your return? I think it would work though I don't think you will get better CO2 diffusion from it unless you aren't getting good diffusion now. In which case you need a better way of getting the CO2 in the water.

You'd need to make sure your overflow setup can handle the increased water volume since you'd now be pumping the water from the 3000 back into the tank instead of into the sump. The overflows on my 150 are each rated at 600gph, which gives me 1200 total. I think it could probably handle more, but that's what the manufacturer states.

How do you like the quiet one pumps? There seems to be some debate as to how quiet they really are. I got a QuietOne 5000 to upgrade the pump in my sump setup, but haven't installed it yet. I was surprised that you think a 6000 isn't enough flow on your 130.

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quiet one flow

David,

I really don't need much more flow. However, the flow through the pumps is diminished by the Lifegard micron filter. I do't know for sure but I bet its at least 50% when the filter is fresh and diminishes over the weeks. Other Lifegard users may want to pipe in on this. I'm sure the overflow could handle much more water return. Perhaps I should get a flow meter and test it....

As far as the noise level. The 6000 is used in the sump and is silent. The external pumps (I have the 3000 and a 4000HH) occasionally vibrate other objects under the stand, but are very quiet overall. The loudest noise they make is when little air bubbles get sucked into the input. The venturi I am using as a CO2 injector http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7963/cid/2341 makes more noise than the pump. Overall quiet to my ears. I can't compare them to other popular pumps because I hav never used them in my system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, no one may care about this, but I came up with an easy "solution".

I bought the following

1 1/4" PVC T
3/4" bushing
1"bushing
3/4" elbow male to barb.

Now the output of the venturi (via 3/4" line) connects directly infront of the intake of the main return pump. The T connects to the 1" input on the return pump. Since the return pump is twice as big as the venturi pump, the excess water is sucked through the open 1 1/4" part of the T.

This seems to be a good way to ensure the vast majority of the CO2 from the venturi goes right to the main return pump and out of the sump.

Anyone else try anything like this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.