The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down a 55g tank that had columnaris. I think I broke the tank down 2 months ago, but I'd have to look that up.
I treated the 55 at the time, and I later removed the surviving fish to a QT tank where they did just fine. I've recently moved them into a 29 tank.
My question pertains to the plants in the 55. They have been sitting in 3" of water since I broke the tank down (they are still in the 55, which was drained to 3")
Is it safe to use the plants in other tanks now? I started dipping all my incoming plants in a heavy concentration of potassuim permangante (sp?) rinsed with water loaded with Prime. Does the columnaris continue to thrive on plants, dormant?
Like a dummy, I didn't think to ask this before adding two dipped anubias and some pennywort from the old 55 to one of my new 29s. So far so good, but I would like your opinions.
Thank you!
btw, I was desperate and treated the tank & fish at the time with everything I could throw at them. Maracin and Maracin2, Kanaplex, Furan2, Triple Sulfa, and Coppersafe. It's possible I've forgotten something, too, I'd have to reread my journal...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Columnaris is bacterial and (supposedly) virtually impossible to get rid of. It will, however, only attack stressed fish unless you have a major infection still in progress.

I had a bad batch of it with a new rainbowfish tank. What has worked well so far (cross my fingers) is a a salt bath, like treating Ich. Apparently the columnaris strains found in heated tropical aquaria don't like salt.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting that when I had columnaris, it was as soon as I introduced celebes rainbows to the tank (I didn't have a QT tank back then)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am unsure about this - but i too believe I am fighting Columnaris from a few swords which I attained from a LFS. I am treating with a multi-use Bacterial treatment ( i will look up specifics when I get home).

Should I fill a 5 gallon bucket with tank + warm water + Aquarium salt to cure? I dont have a QT so...

(Sorry for hijacking thread, but I thought my situation would aid in your questions)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were you, I'd post your situation under the Fish forum. When I had columnaris, I had tons of responses. Most contradicted one another and it was confusing, but I did get tons of options and opinions, and it helped.
I know so little about it, that I don't dare give advice. If you click on my username, you'll get the option to see my other posts - you'll find the whole columnaris thread from when I had it. Mine was acute - it showed symptoms only on one ram, and a few cardinals and black tetras. I lost 22 fish in less than a week, and most showed no signs at all. It's a scary thing!
Good luck with you tank, I hope you post a question & get some replies!
Cindy
PS - columnaris loves warm waters - try to keep your tank temps below 74 - that's one thing I remember...it also loves oxygen starved water, and the higher the temps, the less available oxygen is in the water. I've read that cooler temps + an airstone helps while treating the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.