The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Hikari Shrimp Cuisine has a colour enhancer known as astaxanthin in the ingredients but I'm curious to what Fluval Shrimp Granules have as a colour enhancer in their product...

Does anyone know the names of other colour enhancers listed as ingredients other than astaxanthin?

I'm looking for food that would enhance the colour of my cherry red shrimp :)

If you have any suggestions it would be appreciated thanks for reading.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Astaxanthin (pronounced /æstəˈzænθɨn/) is a carotenoid. It belongs to a larger class of phytochemicals known as terpenes. It is classified as a xanthophyll, which means "yellow leaves". Like many carotenoids, it is a colorful, lipid-soluble pigment. Astaxanthin is found in microalgae, yeast, salmon, trout, krill, shrimp, crayfish, crustaceans, and the feathers of some birds. It provides the red color of salmon meat and cooked shellfish.

Just love the Wikipedia!!!

So look for foods with these ingredients.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder.. if it doesn't say Astaxathin in the ingredients but it labels the things astaxathin is found in..

Would a product that says it has Astaxathin have more of the caratenoid than a product that just lists things that have astaxathin in it.. ughh.. if only they just said Astaxathin in the ingredients for Fluval Shrimp Granules lol (considering whether to buy it or not to make my shrimp darker)

I know for sure that the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine has the asthaxathin (because it is listed in the ingredients) but I'm unsure of whether Fluval Shrimp Granules will offer a good amount of astaxathin.. (it has the stuff that astaxanthin is found in like krill and yeast extract and etc)

Any comments XD?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Selective breeding is the best way to enhance any color for shrimps, it just takes some time. With color enhacing food the color of the shrimps will slowy fade away if you stop feeding them. Or you can go the easy route and just buy shrimps that are already been selectivly breed already, they just cost a litte bit more $$$$.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen forum posts (with pics) that say when they fed their Yellow Shrimp with food containing Astaxanthin that their Yellow Shrimp turned green or blue.

So yes I'm sure the foods with Astaxanthin would make a difference.

I'm hoping they'll bring out the red in my Red Cherry Shrimp *crosses fingers*

I recently ordered some Hikari Shrimp Cuisine from ebay so I'm looking forward to that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here's my colony of RCS after 1 year. Most were not very red and there were a lot of wild-type looking ones as well. A few were very red though. No special food, just keeping all the red ones together.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I'm looking for food that would enhance the colour of my cherry red shrimp :)
I use frozen organic spinach to enhance shrimp color. Grab a chunk and drop it into boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain the water, then spread the spinach out in a Ziplock bag. Put the bag into a freezer. At meal time, cut up a piece of spinach and re-seal the Ziplock bag. Here is one of my fire red shrimps:

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I use frozen organic spinach to enhance shrimp color. Grab a chunk and drop it into boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain the water, then spread the spinach out in a Ziplock bag. Put the bag into a freezer. At meal time, cut up a piece of spinach and re-seal the Ziplock bag. Here is one of my fire red shrimps:

That macro is so macro it's micro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.