The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tried a general use 23watt flourescent bulb from Lowes but I really don't like it. First of all its soft white light so it looks a little yellow. It also seems to be putting off too much heat. Plus it only puts out 2700K.

Anyway, I am going to stick with aquarium lights. My tank is only 5gal hex so the only lights that fit are compact flourescent. Which light should I get, the Coralife Mini Compact Flourescent Colormax 20watt or the 50/50 version. I have wisteria and java fern in the tank right now, but I have ordered HC so I need to get the light pretty soon.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can get 4500K power saver bulbs from Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and most likely from Lowes. Those are a much more bright white, with less yellow. Ultimately it is what looks best to you that is the best to use.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you want to grow HC I wouldn't get a 50/50 bulb. So, get the Colormax. :) Its kind of a pinkish colored light though, but more usable light than a 50/50.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i bought the colormax 20watt and immediately after installing it, hated it. It was a lot more pink than I ever imagined. It made the HC look yellow and dull and the cherry shrimp looked pink.

I decided to go to walmart and get a 26watt daylight flourescent. I like it so much more than the colormax. It does seem to put out a little more heat though. I had been keeping it on for 11 hours a day to get the HC going but a couple days ago I went down to 9hrs and will eventually go to 8hrs. I live in Houston so the tank water is already too warm. Right now the water temp is 80. I know this is too high for shrimp, especially CBS. THey seem to be doing alright for now, but does anyone know an easy way to lower the water temp a few degrees?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've tried ice cubes before, but found out that it lowered the temperature a little bit too fast. A small fan blowing over the surface of the water will work the same way, except you can change the position of the fan or even the motor speed to make the temperature change less drastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts