The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haa, thank you for the answer... I have Painted Fire reds that are red red! in the tank, the parameters should be just right... I Just bght some "Sakura", added them into a breeder-box yest, but they are transparent, some have a blue/green tint to them... I guess I will wait, the seller insisted they are "sakura"...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha, will keep an eye on them, they are probably stressed because of the shipping , this guy used brown paper in a box as insulation....

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes, you'll lower the quality of your PFRs. Now if you had all Sakuras and added a couple of PFRs in you could potentially raise the quality of the sakuras. But the other way around and you're going to lower the quality.

I have a mixed colony myself, but only because I didn't know any better starting out. In hindsight I would have started with PFRs and stuck with those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha! Well, the way things look, the "sakura" might go into a side tank/bucket, they are all still transparent... which is another issue itself

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I tell ya what...I had some RCS that looked like crap crap quality for the first 3 months I had them. pH was high as heck at 8.4, GH and KH off the charts (over 12 on both) and they were on river gravel. I switched them over to a new tank with Fluval Shrimp Stratum (which is black and shows their color better), got the pH dropped down to 7.2, GH and KH in low ranges (KH 6, GH 9) and within about 1 week they were suddenly so red they were all sakura grade. Right now I have a tank full of RCS/PFRs and some of my juvies started losing color when the temps dropped below 70 in the tank. So there are a lot of factors at play with their color. Even my PFRs when I got them in were a little transparent (and purpley red instead of red red) for a week before they settled in. Not transparent like a plain cherry...no clear spots showing, just a little transparent like their shells were a bit thin. A week later you couldn't see through them at all and they were solid, deep red.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, I totally hear you, which is the reason why I have them in a breeder box right now... It was cold when the shrimps were sent and the box was not very well packed, hopefully they will color up, for some reason I thought "sakura" was a grade higher then PFR... So much for speed reading.. Anyhow, will keep them separated for the time being and see if they color up, I got then on thur. and they are still transparent. The water should is fine, I have OEBT and PFR in there and they are thriving... Ph 70-7.2, GH 5, TDS 200

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
revensgate is right on the nail here with her info.

To make things even more confusing, what may be right for one person's tank/water, may not be to the shrimp's liking in another. Some people swear by keeping the reddest PFR in 8+ ph, while other get their best red in below 7.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

To make things even more confusing, what may be right for one person's tank/water, may not be to the shrimp's liking in another. Some people swear by keeping the reddest PFR in 8+ ph, while other get their best red in below 7.
These guys are 8+. Wonder if they would get redder if I kept them in <7. Super glowing red shrimp. lol.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

+100:flick: Yes, what works well for one person may not work well for another person (errr, shrimp I guess).

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
also if your parameters are way diff than what they are used to (ie in the senders tank) then it could take them a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I totally hear you guys.. I did not think they would turn clear though, will give them some time and see what happens.. After all, I am just starting my collection of shrimp now, so it's good to experience these sort of issues. I do need another species to add into my cardinal shrimp side of the tank. Would it be a good idea to let these guys reside there? if not, what other shrimp could I add with the cardinals?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts