The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Shrimp appear fine! That yellow spot are eggs in the ovaries! Often called the "saddle"! Once a female molts, she'll release pheromones into the water column signaling to the males that she's ready to mate. Once a male finds her and manages to successfully copulate (belly to belly!), then the females do a weird, scrunchy action that looks awfully painful.... which passes the eggs down from the ovaries into the pleopods (aka "swimmerettes"). I believe thee eggs get fertilized along the way.

Molting does not guarantee a berried female however. Only the females really need to molt in order for them to become "berried".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for explaining that I seen that on several shrimp and wanted to make sure it wasn't bad. I have not run into any bacterial or fungal problems in my time shrimp keeping so I not sure how to identify properly yet and hope I don't have to learn lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.