The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about the General Meeting on April the 6th as well as the Annual Spring Auction being held on April 28th.

Meeting Info:

Friday, April 06, 2007 7:30:00 PM
April General Meeting
St. James Episcopal Church
8235 W. 44th Ave.
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
West of Wadsworth Blvd.

Event Open to Anyone

Program: The Perfect Fish Room by Greg Sage
During his years as an American Livebearer Association chairman, Greg Sage has had the privilege of seeing a lot of different fish rooms. After much consideration, he would like to present his ideas on ‘The Perfect Fish Room’.

Plant Growth Competition:
Remember to bring in your Water Sprite for judging, and to be present to pick up our next competition plant.

Monthly Bowl Show:
The April Bowl Show will consist of:
Invertebrates. Snails, Starfish, Anemones, Crabs, Shrimp and other Crustaceans, etc.
Sharks and Loaches. Singles or pairs may be shown.
Open Class.

Auction Info

Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:00:00 AM
CAS Spring Auction
St. James Episcopal Church
8235 W. 44th Ave.
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
West of Wadsworth Blvd.

Event Open to Anyone

Announcing The Colorado Aquarium Society’s Annual Spring Auction!

Free Gift Bags and Door Prizes!
New and Used Equipment!
Freshwater and Saltwater Fish!
Dry goods, fish foods, and chemicals!
Plants... and much, MUCH More!

Our Spring Auction lasts into the evening, so make a day of it!
Snacks, Pizza, and Drinks Available!

Sellers Come at 8:00am
Viewing Begins at 9:00am
Auction Starts at 10:00am

Everyone is invited! Bring a Friend!

Since I am also the Auction Chairperson, and I know which companies have donated, and pretty much what they donated. All those who love planted tanks and all the goodies that go with them better start saving up their money now. Trust me there are some OUTSTANDING items that will be on the auction block. Please just ignore the drool stains :drool: though...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Plant people might also be interested to know that our grow plant will be Cryptocoryne beckettii.

Grow the plant, then show it off in competition at the end of 6 months. Or just get some nice plants that you can't usually find in stores.

The purchase price of our selected grow plant is also usually much less than you can get it for in any store.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Really, a Crypto! Hmmmm, I might actually have to participate in this one :wink: .

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yea, I am kind of excited... we don't have that particular cryp yet. :proud:

·
Registered
734 Posts
What a shame that yet another great looking aquarium plant has been deemed "a weed": http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/alert/alrtcryp.html

We have to be careful how we dispose of this one as well as countless others. Today we could just put it outside and let it freeze like a popcicle (at least here in the mountains anyway!) - it's 28 degrees and snowing on March 29th! :icon_roll Geesh I hope I finally get a drive that isn't snowy for the meeting night - the last several have been miserable 3+ hour trips!

Sure looking forward to the meeting and all the goodies that will be there. Reminder to TAF CAF, please don't forget to bring bags, bag buddies, and little rubber bands if you can. And if anyone has some MTS - my snail population took a bad hit with some ornery fish - need to repopulate in a different tank... please?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a shame that yet another great looking aquarium plant has been deemed "a weed": http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/alert/alrtcryp.html

We have to be careful how we dispose of this one as well as countless others. Today we could just put it outside and let it freeze like a popcicle (at least here in the mountains anyway!) - it's 28 degrees and snowing on March 29th! :icon_roll Geesh I hope I finally get a drive that isn't snowy for the meeting night - the last several have been miserable 3+ hour trips!

Sure looking forward to the meeting and all the goodies that will be there. Reminder to TAF CAF, please don't forget to bring bags, bag buddies, and little rubber bands if you can. And if anyone has some MTS - my snail population took a bad hit with some ornery fish - need to repopulate in a different tank... please?
While it may have been deemed invasive. It is not a Federal Noxious Weed, Dr. Tasker informed me that while Texas had petioned for it to be added, it was not deemed by APHIS to be a problem. It is only illegal in Texas (for the moment anyway). So no worries here. For any questions, check out the presentation I gave in March. You can find it here:

http://coloradoaquarium.2000webdesign.com/Cpresentation_files/frame.htm

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
No problems on the MTS... we can bring you some.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ohhh, thanks for the MTS!! I must be the only person alive that can have MTS and NOT become overrun with them - in fact, they just don't seem to live well in any tank except the shrimp tank. Maybe my water is too soft??

Yeah Chris, I knew you wouldn't put one of the "baddies" in the contest. I was just saying that it's a shame that it's considered a weed - but then in Texas, everything is a weed!!:icon_roll And your presentation was great, I thought I remembered that plant being in there! Looking forward to the 6th!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Chris and Tally - is there ANY CHANCE that the presentation could be "captured" and put on the website?? We will be building a new home in about a year, and are both needing the info on the "perfect fish room", but hubby will unfortunately be out of town the night of the meeting - and he's my builder! I really would love for him to see/hear the info if possible. I think it would be a valuable asset to the web site for those who are thinking of joining a club - it will be yet one more feather in the cap of CAS. If this sounds like I'm begging... :help: I AM!! Thanks guys, you're both tops!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We will see what we can do, but a whole lot will depend on the preferences of the speaker.

As for your snails not doing too well, the soft water may very well be the trouble. Snails need a pretty good source of calcium to grow good shells. I will be selling some home-made shrimp/snail/fish biscuits that have extra calcium and vitamens at the big auction.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe I'm finally going to be able to attend my first meeting this Friday (and maybe, with luck, the auction later,) and I look forward to meeting everyone. It'll be nice to put a face to the names.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just got home from the meeting tonight. I just have to say that I am all smiles. My expectations were blown out of the water. Very friendly people, great presentation (just have to convince the fiance that it is necessary), but just good times. Thank you to all who make this happen.

P.S. I am Todd, and Omaha... I want some of those dwarf shoots LOL.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Todd,

Sorry I didn't introduce myself to you last night. I'm glad you made it to the meeting. Those were my "dwarf shoots" that you got into the bidding war over. I see you live close to me so shoot me a pm because I have more if you can swing by my place to get them :) . Welcome to the forums and the CAS!

Duane

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well another great night with great folks! Worth it even with a TERRIBLE 2.5 hour drive home (every single meeting so far since we joined has been a horrible drive home... do you guys check the almanac to find the worst night of the month each time :icon_roll ).

Hope we have a HUGE turnout for the big auction - I for one CAN'T WAIT!!

Thanks to everyone for a great evening - and thanks Greg for a wonderful eye opening talk on fish rooms!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a bump. The auction is next week I hope to see everyone who has nothing better to do (Come on who doesnt want to come to a fish auction instead of mowing the lawn?) We have a lot of really good stuff and we have some outstanding door prizes. Hope to see YOU there!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
No. Personal Checks; Credit, Charge, or Debit
cards; Cash; or CAS Auction Bucks are all fine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.