The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post ever so please bear with me, here it goes:
I am changing out the lighting on my 150g and have come to an impasse. I could really use the help of the masses. I have a 2 bulb T8 fixture. Previously I was running 1 Marineland T10F40w (tank came with 2) and 1 T12 GE 6500K Daylight (Home Depot). I liked the look but the bulbs were old and needed to be changed. I was having some BBA and BGA issues but I believe I have those under control now with water chemistry and expect to see a decline soon (did lights play a part? IDK). Anyway, my question is this: I am switching to an Aqueon Floramax bulb for the plants, that's a given, and am trying to decide if the 2nd bulb should be the Aqueon Colormax or the Aqueon Full Spectrum Daylight bulb. Aesthetically the house is split 50/50 on which looks better. Would there be any negative to running either of these along with the Floramax bulb? I'm worried that one might spike my algae issue or is it purely an aesthetic decision? Tank is about 2 years old if that matters. Any input is appreciated, thank you!:grin2:

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Full spectrum is what I would choose.
I run triple tube T8 with two 6,000K bulbs and one Aqueon Floramax.Purely aesthetic pleasure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Full spectrum is what I would choose.
I run triple tube T8 with two 6,000K bulbs and one Aqueon Floramax.Purely aesthetic pleasure.
OK, thanks. As long as I won't be helping the algae I'm good either way. The wife prefers the look of the Colormax, happy wife happy life. But I'm still on the fence about it and I'm the one that has to deal with the consequences, if any. I really just don't want to help something that is already so prolific, like BBA!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Too much light for too long during the day,inconsistent nutrient supply for plant's to draw from, Co2 availability, is where I might primarily train my consideration as to possible cause for the BBA.
Feeding's offered fishes?,water changes,filter maint would be other consideration's.
Too little light or color spectrum seldom is the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too much light for too long during the day,inconsistent nutrient supply for plant's to draw from, Co2 availability, is where I might primarily train my consideration as to possible cause for the BBA.
Feeding's offered fishes?,water changes,filter maint would be other consideration's.
Too little light or color spectrum seldom is the problem.
I understand all of that. I believe I have those other factors under control now. I have just heard some stories about people changing their lights to a something else, different spectrum/wavelengths, K value, etc. and having blooms of BBA, green spot, or some other. From what I have gathered algae tends to prefer the bluer light (especially in the actinic range) as opposed to the red range. However, I have seen contradictory information on this also saying red is more preferred but the blue camp seems to dominate. That's why I went with the Colormax bulb as it is very red heavy. I think what I'll do is try each for a period and see if I notice a difference either way with the Colormax vs. full spectrum. I plan on returning one of the bulbs so I need to figure it out before my return window closes. As long as I won't be doing any favors for the algae and it's purely an aesthetic issue then I think I'm good. Thanks for the input roadmaster!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet, thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts