The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey PT,

I am trying to get as many suggestions and as much advice as possible on a full red-yellow plant for my new scape. Here is what I have found as being really good options right now.

Nesaea crassicaulis
ammannia gracilis
ludwigia inclinata
Rotala macrandra
Myriophyllum tuberculatum (M. matogrossense)
rotala wallichii
Ludwigia repens "Super Red"
Limnophila hippuridoides
Nesaea pedicallata ''Golden''

Thanks

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Hi Docock,

What type of PAR are we talking about where you want to plant this?

Cuphea anagalloidea is a nice species but not for low tech or medium or lower light.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Beautiful plant, I am using viktor lantos "Jungle" as a reference to the scape I am trying to do. I am running two different LEDs, where I want these plants could be as high as 60 PAR, and I will be using a pressurized CO2 system. Of course regular dosing, I have not had a lot of luck in producing great reds, so hopefully this time I will have more success.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Hi Docock,

Would you believe that [email protected] may be marginal to get the good red color. I grow the species emersed and the stems tips are currently at [email protected] and the leaves are just starting to turn reddish. However if you would like +/- 4 each 2" stems of the above plant (grown emersed) along with some trimmings of a couple of other species (all species will be labeled) I will send them to you for the price of postage ($8 Priority Mail 7" X7" X6" box with bubble-wrap). If you are worried about emersed stems I can assure you I grow my stems in high humidity so the leaf cuticle layer is very, very thin; this allows the emersed plants and stems to transition to submerged growth with little if any leaf loss.

Here are some four (4) different emersed stem species and C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset' that I planted in my 30 gallon on 5/28/16

And here they are this evening 6/8/16; note the new growth on the Myriophyllum mattogrossense (#4 rear), and the Pogostemon erectus (2 short stems foreground left) and the C. 'Florida Sunset' hasn't lost a leaf

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Rotala rotundifolia can get pretty red. Ludwigia arcuata is more orange but is a really good plant for shaping background bushes. Ludwigia senegalensis is another option, but that one's supposed to be super difficult, and it's not super big either. There's probably more but those are the ones that come to mind currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roy,

that would be in incredible, that way I could try them out! That is very generous of you. Is number 2 florida sunset?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Hi Docock,

PM me when you are ready. Looks like you are running mid 60's to mid 80's temp wise for the next 10 days so hot weather should not be an issue.

You have a good eye, #2 is indeed C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset' that I am transitioning from emersed to submerged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts