The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 Lambchop Rasboras and I turned the light on tonight to view my tank and I notice they weren't orange anymore! They were a bright purple/pink. Then in 5 minutes they went to have no color then in another 5 minutes they went back to their normal orange color. The times might be off but is this normal? I haven't ever read anything about this happening to fish.

I did just do a water change and move some plants around but I have done this before and they have never done this. The water also is a bit colder then it usually is. Its about 70 degrees and I think it will drop to 69 during the night while in the afternoon it is 73. I haven't gotten a heater because summer is not so far off and once summer hits it will be up in the 100s so the room were the tank is will be about in the 80s during the day so that should heat the tank up quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I know that my neons tend to get a bit pale during the night, as they don't need their coloration at that time. They get to a very deep red mid day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think this is normal for a lot of fish. My angelfish darkens his stripes when excited to see me and when being fed and his stripes go pale/disappear when he's scared or sleeping. I also have harlequins and Espe's and they both transition from fluorescent red/pink to orange and gold. Espe's especially tend to be more on the red side IME.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I have harlequin rasbora and they do seem to shift between orange, pink, and a pale gold. They are paler in the morning and color up throughout the day to a really beautiful coppery pink.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I love how female bettas normally have horizontal stripes, but when they are excited it disappears and they get zebra stripes.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Maybe the wrong use of the word in this situation (was supposed to be more euphemistic, but didn't translate well), but what you said.

Females always have slight horizontal stripes, but the colour between them seem to wash out when they are stressed, is more how I perceive it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I moved a peppered cory this morning first thing, and he was almost half as dark as the others in the tank he went into.
10 minutes later you couldn't tell him apart anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.