the java moss, and decaying peach leaves while in
the net?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ok, culling it is! About what age should I start
culling, since shrimp need time to get their
full color potential.
That's the bane of keeping fire reds/cherries/etc.

If you cull early, they may color up really nice as they seem to keeping coloring up as they age until they die, and sometimes, especially the female, is 1 molt away from going from decent to wow. I've culled too early, and had to pull culls out of my cull tank back into the main tank.

If you wait till they grow up a bit more, you can cull too late and, especially if it's a male, could have already spread it's seed and it may not color up nice.

So it's a rock and hard place. Cull early and might have to pull them out. Cull late and they might breed and not be what you wanted to breed.

Crystals are easier. lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Would you say 3 months is a little
too early to cull?
Depends on the individual shrimp, how much protein you feed, how warm your tank is, etc as that can affect growth. It's more just something you'll be come better and better with over time. You'll learn to notice what should be a nice looking shrimp early on just from making culling mistakes like pulling one that colors up later or leaving one in that you think is nice and should get better. There are little things you learn that you can't really explain, just comes with experience.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
One more suggestion from my experience. If you want to get the best quality of PFRs, the easiest way is to start with a colony with great gene. I started from 10 very very nice female PFRs and one so so male. What ended up happening is the offspring are just not as nice as the females I started with. The first batch I culled almost all the male as soon as I can identify them as male and with any clear spots. Most female offspring are pretty nice but about 30% weren't to my standard. I've located a source of very nice male and will get some to continue my PFR breeding. I ended up giving away a lot of shrimps for free to people just started, as long as they promised not to feed them to other fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.