The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I like to "collect" fish locally. I mean "collect", as in I don't keep them. Just catch, ID and release. Many people underestimate native fish. I've heard mosquitofish be called boring, drab, ugly, and pointless in the aquarium. if those people saw these fish in person in someone's tank, I bet they wouldn't think they're half bad. They are neat and attractive in their own way.

Another favorite native of mine is the least killifish. These livebearers are TINY! Good luck trying to catch males, they'll slip right though your net!

some smaller species of sunfish are downright stunning! Ever seen a longear sunfish? I really wonder why hardly anyone keeps them. Depending on the locality, they're more attractive than any south american cichlid I've ever seen.

Pygmy killies are another awesome species. They're very tiny as well, and the ones here in southern AL have very nice coloration. I'm considering getting some eventually.

I think native fish are overlooked too often IMO.

·
Registered
313 Posts
[QUOTE some smaller species of sunfish are downright stunning! Ever seen a longear sunfish? I really wonder why hardly anyone keeps them. Depending on the locality, they're more attractive than any south american cichlid I've ever seen. [/QUOTE]

The Pumkin seed is no slouch either!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Another favorite native of mine is the least killifish. These livebearers are TINY! Good luck trying to catch males, they'll slip right though your net!
I love least killifish ! I usually only catch mosquito fish in my nearby lake, and occasionally golden topminnows. But i caught a male least killifish a few weeks ago and was stunned by how awesome he looks !

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Visit the NANFA forum, I know that there are a few people who keep elassoma sp. there. I love darters, personally. I wish that we had rainbow shiners locally as well, but we don't (too far north.) They are insanely pretty fish, much nicer than virtually any fish we put in a tank.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks jasonpatterson.
Okay so I know they need a species only tank, so this is a tough choice.
Either keep my 6 chubs, and soon to be 2 sculpin OR get some E. Gilberti..I can't decide.

Best place is NANFA, zachary.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.