The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the tank will be going into an unheatd basement. although its fine for me, my fishtank cant exactly put on a sweatshirt to keep warm

any recommendations for pretty easy to care for plants that can handle cooler water?

thanks in advance for any replies :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Elodea, anacharis, some vallisneria types, duckweed...that's what I can think of right now. Mosses are also good at lower temps. Anubias seem to also tolerate colder temps pretty well as well as java ferns in my experience.

·
Registered
449 Posts
How cold is cold? You may actually try measuring a bucket of water left out to sit overnight.

There is quite a difference in how well plants will grow from 74F - 70F - 68F then all down to 65F or lower. There is also a difference in whether you are just looking for a plant that will not out-and-out croak on you. Or one that will just tolerate the cold, but not grow much (IE., dormancy). Or selecting one which will actually continue to grow and gain size. To help keep water clean in a fish tank it is much better to select plants which will continue growing.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You've got a basement in Tampa?

I think you should be fine with any of the plants mentioned. I'd probably experiment even with some of the "tropicals" and see what works. I wouldn't imagine your basement gets that cold, living in FL.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a 4 gal coldwater tank. The plants I had success with was Java Fern, Java moss, taiwan moss, brazilian pennywort, bananna plant, rotalia roundifolia (kindof), sunset hygro, m.umbrosium... ummm i think thats it. Its been a while so i dont quite remember if there was anything else but those were really good for me :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry, that info is old. im in the chicagoland area

thanks for the recommendations everyone! ill look into a few of those. good to know there are at least a few i can choose from :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.