The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was worried about the caffeine content, but after some research I've found that caffeine is present in negligible quantities in the roots:

"As well as in seeds, caffeine is distributed in the pericarp of fruits and leaves of coffee plants. In coffee seedlings, caffeine is distributed mainly in leaves and cotyledons, and essentially no caffeine was detected in roots or in older brown parts of shoots" (Zheng and Ashihara, 2004).

And after years drying up and soaking I guess it would be safe? I could boil it a couple times to try to get rid of whatever hides into the driftwood...

My concern is that apparently it could bring the pH up? What else should I pay attention for?

I'll leave the driftwood into a bucket and monitor the water params... not sure what to expect haha. It's a really unique (and big) piece of driftwood so I don't want to throw my money down the drain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"For instance, tannins are a group of highly reactive chemical compounds with the potential to interact with other PSM [secondary metabolites] such as alkaloids and saponins, neutralizing their negative effects." (Lisonbee and Villalba, 2009)

- soaking it into blackwater systems would help neutralizing alkaloids, such as caffeine, if present.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.