The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

What could I use to stick the coconut fiber to the expanding foam?
I tried with silicone sealant but it doesn't work or at least with the result I expected.

For my others terrariums and paludariums I've used something called plastic latex like this one:
BLUMEPLAST M-10 - RAYT

but I've moved and I can't find it now in my area.

I found it in Amazon but is quite expensive.

Do you know another products for this?

Thanks!!
Dan

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Would super glue gel work? Lots of folks use it in aquariums. I guess the problem is you are doing a large area and the glue is impractical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it would work for small areas but I need it for my whole paludarium.

Plastic latex was always my preference because it was cheap and results were... just perfect. If I don't find anything I could buy it anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wood glue works. Put it in a bowl and mix the fiber right in it and use gloved hands to rub it on the foam.

I've never had a problem with silicone holding the fiber though. Weird that your not having good results.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bsantucci but the wood glue doesn't work with paludarium if there have a lot of water. It would be ok for dry terrariums.

I've used silicone just once, maybe the one I've used is not a good one, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thanks bsantucci but the wood glue doesn't work with paludarium if there have a lot of water. It would be ok for dry terrariums.

I've used silicone just once, maybe the one I've used is not a good one, I don't know.
Gotcha, I never had an issue with wood glue in my dart frog tank. It is misted for 15 seconds, twice a day with a Mist King system.

Silicone should definitely work. I use it for most of my tanks. The trick is to get the fiber on it very quickly since it skins super quick. I recommend doing it in sections if you can't get the fiber on quick enough. You can always add more silicone on top of old silicone too if you need to touch up a section that it didn't stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mmmm... probably I've used a bad brand.

With the silicone I've used that technique, just small areas, step by step but maybe I should use more quantity.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it and I'll tell you something.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.