The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across this post, link, and I noticed the stem for my CO2art regulator does not match either of the stems in the pictures.

Here are the pictures from the post:

Here is how the stem on my Pro-Elite Series regulator looks:

It looks like I’m missing something. Can anyone with the CO2art Pro-Elite Series regulator tell me if the stem that goes to their CO2 canister looks like mine?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yours is ok, it is US standard CGA320.
The first picture is DIN477-6/ W21.8 for UK, Germany standard.
That makes sense when looking at the first pic. I wonder, though, why my stem is not flush like the one shown in the second pic. Is that an inlet filter on it? I think I am at least missing an o-ring that will fit into that groove.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
That makes sense when looking at the first pic. I wonder, though, why my stem is not flush like the one shown in the second pic. Is that an inlet filter on it? I think I am at least missing an o-ring that will fit into that groove.
Certainly is odd. Is that black spot at 12 o'clock -ish a drilled hole?
Other rough observations:
Looks like a punched in ring of brass that someone tried to remove.
Pretty beat up for it's function all around.
Someone remove the filter?
Did you buy this new?

Other than that it is pretty standard though there was no apparent reason to machine the face smaller.
Should just mate using the typical CO2 disc.
I'll take that back. Looks like a version of this:
Taprite Co2 CGA320 Stem
Replacement Co2 stem for your Taprite and any regulator that has a 1/4" NPT left handed thread in to the regulator. It measures 2-1/2" long.
Comes with a built in permanent o-ring.
The mention of a left hand thread throws a wrench in thing a bit. I'd probably normally suggest just removing it and replacing.

Does seem common w/ beer regulator types..I don't remember any of mine being left had but it's been years since setting up a new regulator.

Gets worse..

Wheres the filter? Or screw?

IF it's rebranded taprite, here is the o ring specifications for your local hardware store:
Tank Nipple Inlet O-Ring, .424ID x .103CS 70DURO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Certainly is odd. Is that black spot at 12 o'clock -ish a drilled hole?
Other rough observations:
Looks like a punched in ring of brass that someone tried to remove.
Pretty beat up for it's function all around.
Someone remove the filter?
Did you buy this new?
This is the Pro-Elite Series Regulator from CO2art. I bought it a few months back from their site supposedly new.
There are two drilled holes, one at 12 o’clock in the picture and another at 4 o’clock. That‘s the way it arrived. I don’t even remember it coming with a gasket for the groove. I found a gasket that was slightly larger than the groove but I sort of jammed it in there. Then I placed a nylon washer between that and the canister outlet.

I recently removed the regulator from my canister but now that gasket I used is bent out of shape. If I use it again I think it may just leak CO2. I cannot just use the nylon washer they provided alone to form a tight seal. I’ll never be able to line the hole of the washer up perfectly with the inner wall of the stem and my CO2 will just leak through the holes.

Gets worse..

Wheres the filter? Or screw?

IF it's rebranded taprite, here is the o ring specifications for your local hardware store:
I dont’t think it is a Taprite stem. Do you know if the CO2art regulators come with an inlet filter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the filter may be jammed a little ways in there. I don’t think I could ever replace it if needed be. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Co2 art contracts out for there regulators.
I swear they switch vendors monthly.
Anyways the point was tapright "style".

Try to find an o ring
sz 111.

Should fit.

If that's how it came send images to co2 art.

Ma and pa hardware stores, scuba shops, and homebrew suppliers, paintball, may all have it.

I could be off base but take the reg with you for a fitting.
Think CO2Art has some explaining to do.
Oh filter may be in the regulator so just ignore it for now.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
ok, I see it...

it is rare o-ring seal co2 stem, you can order the oring here

but check with CO2 art first, because for this type of o-ring seal CGA320 stem, the size of oring is not standardized, size of the o-ring may vary, the O-ring from the link above may not fit.

add: the nylon washer from picture 2 look exactly the right part to fit the grove of the stem in picture 3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I see it...

it is rare o-ring seal co2 stem, you can order the oring here

but check with CO2 art first, because for this type of o-ring seal CGA320 stem, the size of oring is not standardized, size of the o-ring may vary, the O-ring from the link above may not fit.

add: the nylon washer from picture 2 look exactly the right part to fit the grove of the stem in picture 3.
I have written to CO2art a few times already. The first time was 2 days ago. They seem to respond to my emails only once per day. Do they have a US team? The website I use CO2art.US. Anyway, the first time they essentially told me I only need the nylon ring that came with the kit. Even though I did send them a picture of my stem and told them I may need an o-ring for that groove.

The second time I wrote them I tried to reiterate what I wrote here. There’s a gap, holes, etc. They wrote back again telling me to just try it with the washer. Against my better judgement I tried it this morning, and to no surprise CO2 was leaking from the back of my stem bolt.

So, I have written them a third time and highlighted where the gaps and holes are in the system. Now, I‘m just awaiting their response.

From their responses it seems like they think these nylon washers are reusable. They really aren’t meant to be used again after they are taken out, though. When you tighten the bolt they get crushed down to fill gaps and prevent CO2 loss. If you use them a second time they are not as pliable and may leave gaps in the seal. So, now I have to buy more washers as well. Does anyone know the size of the nylon washer to use?

I know a lot of people have good things to say about CO2art and their products but my experience with them has been absolutely horrible from the get go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So they told me that my model doesn’t use a rubber o-ring and that I’m supposed to use only the nylon washer. Per their instructions I am supposed to line up the washer between the canister outlet and the regulator stem and then tighten the bolt.

740206CC-BA20-4811-8745-97E574243E8A.png

Here is me trying to line up the washer on that center ring.

It looks like I’m way off center but I think that‘s mostly due to the camera angle. I’m pretty dang close but there is still a slight gap between the ring and inner circle.

So when I slap all three together I have to use my x-ray vision to ensure it’s dead on. Then when I screw the bolt on I’ll have to use my telekinetic powers to hold it in place to ensure it doesn’t move in the slightest bit.

I don’t know but this doesn’t make much sense to me from an engineering design perspective. If I had a flat stem head it would but I don’t.

What’s even crazier is that after I asked them to take a picture of the stem head for one of their regulators using their chat box anonymously, this is what they sent me.

This one clearly uses an o-ring but for some reason they think mine shouldn’t? Anyway, they are now going to send me an o-ring but I “shouldn’t have to use it“ with my model. This bs is baffling.

Someone tell me if I am wrong here. I feel like I’ve wasted so much time going back and forth with them. Wish I went with GLA.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Already gave you the o ring number that should fit.
I' ve used ( w/ normal cga stem) one nylon washer for 4 years w) one if my systems.

Find a 111 o ring and tell me if I' m right or wrong. Even if it doesn't' fit it will tell you how close you are... :)

I' ve used ( w/ normal cga stem) one nylon washer for 4 years w) one if my systems.

Find a 111 o ring and tell me if I' m right or wrong. Even if it doesn't' fit it will tell you how close you are... :)
Btw why would they have the o rings?.
How close to 1/2 inch is the diameter of that center flat?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw why would they have the o rings?.
They sold me the regulator so maybe they have spares? 🤷‍♂️ I don’t really know. I didn’t ask them for one. Bettatail suggested I ask them for the size which sounded like a good idea. So, I did and they offered to send me one. Kudos to them.

You may be a lucky person. When I tighten the bolt I can hear when the nylon crunches down. When I take them out I can see where the grooves bit in. At that point it‘s time to toss them out and get a new one.

It turns out #111 is a little too big and a little too thin. If anyone else has a similar issue it seems a #8 o-ring is the best fit with these dimensions, 9/16” o.d. x 3/8” i.d. I had to go to the hardware store to figure it out. CO2art‘s customer support still hasn’t given up that information to me.

Well my issue has been resolved, though, I‘m disappointed with CO2art’s customer support. ”You only need the nylon washer”. They just told me that same thing over and over, despite all the evidence I presented to them. Also, they told me to make a video. I guess they didn’t actually believe it would leak so they wanted proof. It was complete b.s having to deal with them.

Thank you guys at the PlantedTank customer support though, for trying to help me out. (y)

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.
I did think my guess was right. Egg on my face.

$2.57 fir 10 set for life. :)

The true flat to flat aren' t near as destructive
Those seals that look like nylon tube cutoffs
are silly.

Reactions: marex
1 - 13 of 13 Posts