The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I've been using 2 sources of co2 on my 29 gal tank for the past 6 weeks or so. One is a Hagen HOT thingy-bob with a ladder, the other a diy with another ladder diffuser. Thinking of making the big move to pressurized co2 and curious, firstly, if such is necessary on a tank this size, and if so, what all is needed to add co2 from a tank into the aquarium. The Hagen thing releases about one bubble a second, the diy about 3 a second.

I have a Oddesea fluorescent lamp fixture that holds 2 65 watt bulbs. Currently I only use one and that's for about 9 hours a day.

Thanks for any help that comes my way!
Rob

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use pressurized on my 29g and love it.

Min equipment:
Tank
Regulator
Hose
Needle Valve
Bubble counter
Diffusion method(reactor, powerhead, ceramic, etc)

Optional but practically necessary:
Timer
Drop checker
Check valve

Optional:
pH controller

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
As far as I know, the Hagen CO2 is essentially DIY CO2, just in a fancy package.

While you could use DIY CO2 on your tank, switching to pressurized means less hassle, and not having to deal with sugar, yeast and switching out bottles every so often.

With the lighting you have, your plants will definitely benefit from the addition of CO2 (then again, regardless of light, all plants will benefit from the addition of CO2).

As Postal Penguin mentioned, the bare minimum equipment includes:
CO2 Tank
Regulator
Airline Hose
Needle Valve

Also highly recommended:
Check valve
Drop checker
Solenoid - Postal Penguin forgot this ;) Without a solenoid, you can't use a timer
Timer

Optional:
pH controller

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, guys!

Now to find a source for all these things!

:)

(Anthony... you are correct... Hagen is basically a diy sugar, yeast, baking soda setup in a pretty package.)

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick question...

What size co2 tank do most folks use for their aquariums?

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
A quick question...

What size co2 tank do most folks use for their aquariums?
I'd say 5lb-10lb bottles are the most common. If you've got a pair of mean guns, you can try a 20lb (they're heavy but will also last forever) :proud:

Best price I've found for a brand new aluminum bottle (no hassles or bid wars) was at aquariumplants.com

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... I'm back to looking into setting up a pressurized co2 system and looking for recommendations for easy to use complete setups for my 29 gallon tank.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... I got one!

I found and bought a "Red Sea CO2 Pressure Regulator for Paintball CO2 Bottles" at a local fish store yesterday. Less than a mile away from that I found a sports store and bought a paintball co2 tank. Now I just need to find a place to fill it!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doesnt the paintball ones need some type of adapter to work with co2 valves?
It fits perfectly on the paintball cylinder I have... (Of course it's made for em...)

I do wonder how long a 12 oz cylinder will last on a 29 gallon tank...

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I was assuming accordztech was talking about standard CO2 regulators :)

Of course, the Red Sea CO2 kit is made for paintball canisters, so it will not need any adapters.

As for the duration a 12 oz cylinder will last, it really depends on how fast you are injecting it into the tank, and whether you are controlling it via a solenoid (i.e. turning it off at night). I'd say a few months, perhaps.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have ordered a solenoid.

Looks like I may get a larger cylinder!

:)

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup.... bought a "Spyder" 20 ounce cylinder at Fred Meyer on my way to work last night... $29.97.

Will call around later to find a place that'll fill em!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You can buy a larger CO2 cylinder, get the adapter(s) and refill your paintball cylinder yourself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts