The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question about DIY co2... i know the guys (and girls) with pressurized systems turn them up at night and less during the day... how do i do that with a hagan co2 system? should i set up some sort of valve? if so, im concerned about the pressure build ups...

any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It would be down at night and up during the day. Plants use CO2 when the lights are on and not at night, so turning the CO2 down at night keeps it from building up and making the fish sick.

I am not familiar with the hagan system, but a simple solution (if you are really getting a lot of CO2 disolved into your tank) is to put an air pump on a timer to come on at night... therefore out-gassing your CO2 automatically at night.

If you arn't getting anywhere near the CO2 levels that would be dangerous to fish over a night build up, I don't really see a reason to bother reducing the CO2 level (I don't.)

Another way (if you want to hand adjust it) would be to use a 2 way gang valve (with the extra port closed during the day) and bleed off CO2 at night so it never enters your tank. Be sure to use a check valve in your line at the top of the tank so that water doesn't risk siphoning out of the gang valve if you do this though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I used the ladder for a while. It worked ok. Excess CO2 was not a problem until I switched from a HOB to a canister filter, at which time, I had some cardinal tetras die off. I solved the problem by running an air pump at night to degas the CO2. I just put the pump on a timer to come on an hour after the lights went out and then off 2 hours before the lights came on.

Now I run pressurized with a solenoid, so I don't worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You'll have a difficult time overdosing your tank with the Hagen CO2 widget, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you are determined to find an automated solution, put an airstone or powerhead on an appliance timer and set it to run only at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.