The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 10# CO2 tank. I am between two: a new ten pound aluminum for $66 or 10# steel tank recently re certified for $50. Are there any reasons I should not get the used steel tank? Thanks

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
The aluminum tanks last longer. Well... That is they survive more hydro tests than the steel cylinders do. I'm not certain how many steel tanks are good for. The main difference is that the aluminum tanks use a big o-ring to seal the neck. The steel tanks use kind of a big pipe thread which is only good for so many necks. At least that's what the fire extinguisher guy told me. He seemed very knowledgeable, haha.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Is the aluminum certified? If it isn't it might cost you extra money to certify it, also the cost of filling the tank.

Are you going to display your tank or have it covered? I'd automatically choose the aluminum one if you're going to display it.

Are the co2 refill station in your area refill or are trade ins? Such a waste of money IMO to trade in a brand new tank (that you also paid to certify and fill up) and receive a used tank in return. I'd automatically choose the steel if they only do trade-in/exchanges.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. The aluminum tank is certified. The place I am going to go to for filling the tank does fill tanks and does not swap. My last option is I can purchase a reconditioned 15 # from the CO2 place filled for $105. I just need to find out whats it made of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.