The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well it depends on what plants you are wanting to grow in your tank.

I would recommend you look up a DIY system to start put with. Especially if it's just a ten.

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
That method is also super-dangerous and shouldn't be used by anyone who isn't experienced with CO2 and highly pressurized gasses.

Paintball regulators can be found for $90 and they're way more safe. Not cheap, but safe.

The best bet for buying a CO2 system is to monitor the SnS and Power Sellers sections of the forum. After, of course, reading for weeks on end to make sure you know the ins and outs of CO2 systems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That method is also super-dangerous and shouldn't be used by anyone who isn't experienced with CO2 and highly pressurized gasses.

Paintball regulators can be found for $90 and they're way more safe. Not cheap, but safe.

The best bet for buying a CO2 system is to monitor the SnS and Power Sellers sections of the forum. After, of course, reading for weeks on end to make sure you know the ins and outs of CO2 systems.

Ridiculous :icon_eek: . I still have my original pb setup. I went from diy to pb to a high quality setup. It was a natural progression...I'd love to know why this is "highly" dangerous. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Is the 5lb ultimate co2 system from gla worth it for a 20 gallon tank, I'm also thinking going for a 36 or 46 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I'm working on lowering the learning curve a little. Just need to do a whole lot more typing.

Some patience and some reading is your best bet besides DIY co2.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Ridiculous :icon_eek: . I still have my original pb setup. I went from diy to pb to a high quality setup. It was a natural progression...I'd love to know why this is "highly" dangerous. :hihi:

I don't think it is dangerous. However, it is pita to adjust the bubble rates. You can initially set at 3 bps. Couple of hours later, it drops down to 1 bps. The O ring on the ON/OFF valve tends to deform since CO2 is making contact with it all the time. Is just the nature of the beast since only a needle valve is regulating CO2 coming out at 800 psi...:)

I had my fun with it but eventually upgraded to a full scale CO2 system with a 10lb tank. I no longer need to check and fiddle with my bubble rate everyday.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Start out with a diy co2 system, they're very easy to put together (if I can do it, anyone can!). Then take your time and read about pressurized co2 systems so you know what you want if you want to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
16,939 Posts
It's highly dangerous because you're typically using gas that's 800-1000 pounds in pressure without a regulator to drop that pressure. Meaning you're typically using a needle valve that's just waiting to turn into a torpedo.

If you were using DIY prior to the paintball switch, you weren't a newbie and you had ample experience with CO2. Meaning you pretty much knew what you were doing at that point.

Jumping at a regulator-free paintball setup first, without any experience or tons of research is less than ideal.

For the record: I have several regulator-free paintball setups. Just because most of us haven't had accidents doesn't mean they're not dangerous. I can't tell you the number of times I've had lines explode and needle valves (rated for high pressure, even) pop with regulator-free setups.

Google around, search the forum. Lots of people obviously use them but there's hardly a disagreement about the method being less safe than others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.