The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ph swings caused by co2 dont seem to have much of an effect on livestock; so I'd be cautious of chalking the deaths up to that. I can almost guarantee that turning the co2 off at night did not cause a death. You will not want to leave the co2 running all night. No light source means the plants cant photosynthesize. Adding co2 while its dark is likely going to cause you problems. Dont worry so much about reaching a certain ph value. You do want to add enough co2 to see the ph drop a point or so. But the fine tuning after that is best based on how your livestock reacts. You'll see the fish head to the surface gasping for air when you've gone too far with the co2.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for great information. I actually lowered the ph from my aged 8.3 to 7.5 very slowly. The problem is when I shut the CO2 off it jumped right back up to 8.3 by the next AM. Three fish dead that morning. Changed water using aged 8.3 which shot the ph in tank to 8 and 2 died within the hour. I can't say for sure that's what killed them; however, they do great as long as I use my tap water and leave the CO2 on. But will give it another try.
The ph should rise back up overnight and the whole process should start again when the co2 is again being injected. This is expected and is exactly what all of us who add pressurized co2 see happen daily. Typically, this does not cause any deaths; and if it did no one would continue trying it this way!

How are you measuring ph? If your tank's ph was 8.3 and you added more water with a ph value of 8.3 how do you end up with a tank reading of only 8?

You do have relatively high ph readings and I assume very hard water. What species are you keeping in this tank and what are you finding dead? What kind of substrate do you use and what else is in teh tnak? Any driftwood or anything that helps to naturally lower ph?

Bump:
Thanks for great information. I actually lowered the ph from my aged 8.3 to 7.5 very slowly. The problem is when I shut the CO2 off it jumped right back up to 8.3 by the next AM. Three fish dead that morning. Changed water using aged 8.3 which shot the ph in tank to 8 and 2 died within the hour. I can't say for sure that's what killed them; however, they do great as long as I use my tap water and leave the CO2 on. But will give it another try.
The ph should rise back up overnight and the whole process should start again when the co2 is again being injected. This is expected and is exactly what all of us who add pressurized co2 see happen daily. Typically, this does not cause any deaths; and if it did no one would continue trying it this way!

How are you measuring ph? If your tank's ph was 8.3 and you added more water with a ph value of 8.3 how do you end up with a tank reading of only 8?

You do have relatively high ph readings and I assume very hard water. What species are you keeping in this tank and what are you finding dead? What kind of substrate do you use and what else is in teh tnak? Any driftwood or anything that helps to naturally lower ph?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.