The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So besides the "aquatek co2 proof" tubing on amazon, are there any other air tubing that wont disintegrate with a CO2 system? Are there certain materials that are co2 resistant, or clear that would also work?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What size is the tubing that fits most regulators? Would you mind linking to any place you get yours rdmustang1? Haha, I'm new to CO2 so any help would be grateful!

·
Registered
536 Posts
What size is the tubing that fits most regulators? Would you mind linking to any place you get yours rdmustang1? Haha, I'm new to CO2 so any help would be grateful!
The regulator itself doesn't attach to tubing. There is a post body that is a combination of a needle (or metering) valve and optionally a solenoid and/or check valve with an assortment of connectors, elbows, adapters, etc. On most builds the tubing connects to the check valve if one is used or the needle valve if one isn't used. Most builds use 1/4" OD tubing but there are variations.

Here is one of the tubing types that I use:
Tubing

I say to stay away from silicone because there is a lot of controversy whether it leaks CO2. Some people say vinyl yellows and hardens with age but others say it doesn't. Polyethylene is a good middle ground tubing that's cheap so I use it and haven't had any issues. Some of the "CO2 tubing" sold is polyethylene so I feel good using it.

CO2 Primer (A great read)

Do you have a regulator already?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet. I'm considering the aquatek mini co2 regulator or the
(leaning toward the aquatic life due to its compactness and the solenoid). Is there one that you would recommend besides the aquatic life?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not yet. I'm considering the aquatek mini co2 regulator or the aquatic life mini (leaning toward the aquatic life due to its compactness and the solenoid). Is there one that you would recommend besides the aquatic life?
I am running (3) AquaticLife regulators and (1) Aquatek mini on my four CO2 injected tanks. Both brands have solenoids and both appear very similar in size & configuration. I have had no problems to date (AquaticLife operating for 18 mo; Aquatek about 3 mo) with either brand. The Aquatek is $50-$60 cheaper and comes with a check valve/bubble counter. Since they both seem to be about the same, my next CO2 tank will probably be controlled by a Aquatek unit. Hope that helps with your decision. :bounce:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Silicone is fine. I have 100+ ft of silicone tubing running to 3 different tanks in my apartment. Setup's been running 3+ years with no issues. CO2 tubing is marketing hype and a great way for sellers to make money.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Silicone is fine. I have 100+ ft of silicone tubing running to 3 different tanks in my apartment. Setup's been running 3+ years with no issues. CO2 tubing is marketing hype and a great way for sellers to make money.
There is a good chance that you're losing about 20+% of the total CO2 in your tank due to your tubing (probably more like 40%). It works fine but is wasteful. The CO2 is cheap. Time spent refilling is valuable to most.

There are 2 threads on here that show the math.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a good chance that you're losing about 20+% of the total CO2 in your tank due to your tubing (probably more like 40%). It works fine but is wasteful. The CO2 is cheap. Time spent refilling is valuable to most.

There are 2 threads on here that show the math.
Nope.

My 20# tank lasts 6-7 months. That's supplying a 20g, 30g, and 75g, plus 4 kegs in a kegerator. The co2 loss is extremely small and it would take many many years before the cost of co2 lost would come close to the money wasted on co2 tubing and the ridiculous price premium compared to silicone.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78126

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nope.

My 20# tank lasts 6-7 months. That's supplying a 20g, 30g, and 75g, plus 4 kegs in a kegerator. The co2 loss is extremely small and it would take many many years before the cost of co2 lost would come close to the money wasted on co2 tubing and the ridiculous price premium compared to silicone.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78126
You getting a lot of time from a large CO2 tank on 3 small aquariums doesn't really prove anything. Without more information I'd actually say you should be getting 1.5-2x that unless your kegerator is serving a public bar. Hoppy's experiment is interesting but he never commented if he tried the test in air which would greatly increase CO2 diffusion rates. I won't say I'm convinced that silicone will lose CO2 but there is still enough controversy that I wouldn't recommend silicone to anyone.

Also, the "CO2 proof" tubing I linked is $0.10 per foot. It's no more expensive than silicone tubing so for anyone buying tubing why would you choose silicone?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You getting a lot of time from a large CO2 tank on 3 small aquariums doesn't really prove anything. Without more information I'd actually say you should be getting 1.5-2x that unless your kegerator is serving a public bar. Hoppy's experiment is interesting but he never commented if he tried the test in air which would greatly increase CO2 diffusion rates. I won't say I'm convinced that silicone will lose CO2 but there is still enough controversy that I wouldn't recommend silicone to anyone.

Also, the "CO2 proof" tubing I linked is $0.10 per foot. It's no more expensive than silicone tubing so for anyone buying tubing why would you choose silicone?
Ah didn't see your link. That's a great option then. I hadn't really researched other options other than silicone, vinyl, and "aquarium co2 tubing" at the time. My main point is that the over-priced "aquarium co2 tubing" vendors try to push is an absolute scam and waste of money.

Here's a more thorough analysis of why silicone is fine for our purposes:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/4843-co2-tubing

The losses are nowhere near the 20-40% you're claiming.

And my kegerator does see a fair amount of usage. A bunch of co2 is used when purging or force carbing.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have been using silicone tubing for quite some time now and haven't noticed any difference in how long a tank of co2 lasts compared to when I was using the "special co2 proof tubing". I don't know if I believe the 20-40% loss numbers at all. If I switched back to using the co2 proof tubing and the tanks last the same amount of time then that pretty much falsifies any claims to such huge %'s of co2 loss.

I was wrong I guess it's not silicone tubing but tubing I got from a friend in the medical field. I assumed it was silicone but its actually PE/PVC tubing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts