The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the clear air line tubing from Home Depot. I am trying to confirm if this stuff is bad to use. Will i lose alot of co2 by using this even though it is run at low pressure? Has anybody else used this stuff with successful results? I can get some higher rated pneumatic tubing from my work, would I be better off using this?

Thanks to all.

Randy B.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for the link argblarg, was looking for it. Now having looked @ the chart, it would appear that polyethylene is better than polyurethane ( always thought it was the other way around), can someone explain this.
Regards

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Just a different material. Most likely has smaller pores. But in actual use the difference will not be noticeable.

The best use of the chart is to show people why they should not use silicone tubing.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Thanks for the link argblarg, was looking for it. Now having looked @ the chart, it would appear that polyethylene is better than polyurethane ( always thought it was the other way around), can someone explain this.
Regards
I use the polyethylene they sell at the home improvement stores for icemakers and RO units (.170 ID x 1/4" OD). The Permeability is fairly low and although this type of tubing is thick (one reason for low permeability) and not very flexible, it works and is $.07 a foot which is a significant savings when you have over 100 foot in use. One thing to note is the need to place this tubing in hot water before sticking onto a barb, once cooled it will need cut off as it shrinks and seals against the barb tightly, you will not be able to pull it off. The polyethylene tubing can also split at the ends when put on a barb if you do not heat it up......DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.