The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use the extra co2 tubing I got from GLA to use in my peristaltic pump?

if not, where can I get appropriate tubing?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
AAS sells different sizes of peristalic tubing. http://www.automatedaquariums.com/

TBG023-001A: Norprene Tubing, 1/32" ID, 10 feet .... $20.00
TBG023-003: Norprene Tubing, 1/16" ID, 10 feet .... $15.00
TBG023-007: Norprene Tubing, 1/8" ID, 10 feet .... $15.00

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll get it if I have to, just wonded if the co2 would work.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
i'll get it if I have to, just wonded if the co2 would work.
I saw the tubing yesterday when someone posted the AAS site.

I'm sorry, but I've never used those pumps and I can't help you with your using CO2 tubing with them question.

I did answer 1/2 of your questions though. :icon_bigg

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
You need to use the specific Norprene or Santoprene tubing that the peristaltic pump is spec'd for. Like the material that LeftC linked to. This kind of tubing is very flexible, and recovers its original shape extremely well.

CO2 tubing will most likely be too hard, and lockup/break the motor, and/or not completely pinch the tubing closed, and therefore not transport any fluid.

That said, the original tubing that comes with the pumps will last a long time. They are made for continuous duty, so if you use it only a few minutes per day, it will last a long long time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You must use the appropriate spec'd Norprene or Santoprene where it passes through the pump but outside the pump you can use barbed fittings to change to whatever tubing you want.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
AAS sells different sizes of peristalic tubing. http://www.automatedaquariums.com/

TBG023-001A: Norprene Tubing, 1/32" ID, 10 feet .... $20.00
TBG023-003: Norprene Tubing, 1/16" ID, 10 feet .... $15.00
TBG023-007: Norprene Tubing, 1/8" ID, 10 feet .... $15.00
Lord another website I have to order from now, my wife is not going to be so understanding ... I'm going to have to tell her it's your fault ;)

- Brad

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Lord another website I have to order from now, my wife is not going to be so understanding ... I'm going to have to tell her it's your fault ;)

- Brad
Just ask her to call my ex-wife and tell her what is going on. That will be OK with me. We were married for 3 weeks 17 years ago. :hihi:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am picking up 3 peristaltic pumps for next to nothing. They are used (but industrial) and come with 1/4 tubing that I can not reuse (contaminated). He claims a rate of 1oz a minute. I could work with that, but would prefer less. Can I put smaller tubing in it? Simply puting smaller barbs on each end wouldnt work b/c of the nature of the pump... yes? or no?

What is this santoprene/norprene? can I use them interchangably?

W(*&^%#$#@$*(&@# trying to understand is so frustrating.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Santoprene and norprene are brand names for the tubing that passes through the pump. As far as interchangeable I dont know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts