The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy the right tubing for co2. from what i can gather it should be 1/4od and 1/8id . however searching for that on amazon yields few result. I've heard i can use normal airline tubing but i'd like to do it right. does anyone have a recommendation?
thanks

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I'd like to buy the right tubing for co2. from what i can gather it should be 1/4od and 1/8id . however searching for that on amazon yields few result. I've heard i can use normal airline tubing but i'd like to do it right. does anyone have a recommendation?
thanks
I've been using this stuff. Its stiffer then normal airline tubing which works well with push to connect fittings. No complaints.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using this stuff. Its stiffer then normal airline tubing which works well with push to connect fittings. No complaints.
thanks,
I am looking for clear tubing. I am plumbing the co2 directly into the intake tube of a HOB filter, so i'd like to get visual indicator that co2 is going in (by seeing water being pushed back from the clear tubing)

I've just put in an order for this.

having 2nd thoughts, wondering if this stuff is too soft to fit well into the hole (i will be drilling) in the HOB intake.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I've just put in an order for this.

having 2nd thoughts, wondering if this stuff is too soft to fit well into the hole (i will be drilling) in the HOB intake.
The silicone tubing I've used is super soft, like the same texture as the stuff they tie around your arm when the doctor is taking blood. I would not use it in the way want to.

I use a bubble counter to get that visual representation. Specifically this one, but there are other sellers out there that can get this style to you quicker.

Not sure if you were planning for this or not, but you also need a check valve to keep your regulator from filling with water.

And unless you are using a diffuser or something just pumping co2 into a hob isn't going to do much to increase co2 levels as it will outgas immediately.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The silicone tubing I've used is super soft, like the same texture as the stuff they tie around your arm when the doctor is taking blood. I would not use it in the way want to.

I use a bubble counter to get that visual representation. Specifically this one, but there are other sellers out there that can get this style to you quicker.

Not sure if you were planning for this or not, but you also need a check valve to keep your regulator from filling with water.

And unless you are using a diffuser or something just pumping co2 into a hob isn't going to do much to increase co2 levels as it will outgas immediately.
yeah, i've got a check valve after the bubble counter.
I am experimenting with doing it this way because my HOB has the impeller mounted directly on top of the intake tube, the thought is to have the impeller break apart the co2 as it pumps water through. I am planning for 6x 10 gallon tanks so if it works, it would be saving money and tank space that would have been used for a diffuser.
what i find encouraging is my plants start to pearl upon doing this. Just added the drop checker as well. Not sure if need to have it complete green though, i figure if the plants are pearlling then they are happy.

any thoughts/recommendation are much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
If you are seeing pearling when doing this but weren't seeing it before then clearly some amount of co2 is getting in. How much? No idea, the best way to check is to let it run a few hours and take a ph reading, then fill a cup of water and let it degass for 24 hours and take a ph reading from that. Compare the two and you have your ph drop. There is some maths involved in this process to figure out exactly your ppm but generally if you have a 1.0 ph drop from co2 then you are around 30 ppm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestion, .5 to 1 point of PH drop i take it is my target. need to set up a new tank without RO water to do this. my ph is probably under 6 for my current tank, using the api test kit, i have a hard time take a measurement since it only go as low as 6.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm jealous of your tap water ;P You can use crushed coral in your substrate or filter to raise your ph. A lot easier then using ro water if you don't already have a good ro setup.
Actually , I use RO , my tap is at 7.6 PH. that's why i need to setup a empty tank with tap water to do the PH test you mentioned.

Do you know if i need to take into account buffering (KH) when looking for this 1 point drop? wouldn't the drop be less drastic or at all if KH is high?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Do you know if i need to take into account buffering (KH) when looking for this 1 point drop? wouldn't the drop be less drastic or at all if KH is high?
Thats the maths part I am not much familar with. There are some posts on the forum about it but I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
any lab grade polyurethane 1/4 OD hose will do, you can order tygon as Capsaicin_MFK suggested, or clippard from clippard website.
make sure the nomenclature is "hose" not "Tubing", because per industrial standard, "tubing" is harder type and "hose" is the flexible type.
BTW, nice co2 system, one or two outputs at the moment is fine, but if for multiple outputs, the parker metering valve will restrict the co2 flow, have to keep it open all the way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks Bettatail, been searching for "tubing" all along. with 1 output, i currently have a the parker valve close all the way and working pressure at around 20. and it still can produce more bubbles than i need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.