The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this has happened 3 or 4 times now, my pressurized co2 tubing has just "fallen off" the 1/8 to barb connection coming out of my solenoid. theres a big noise and then all the co2 leaks out, the first time it happened i lost all of my co2 and i realized that i had the wrong sized barb connection a 1/4 connection. So, i bought the new barb for the correct size for the tubing, 1/8" and it came off last night. I know this time it is the right size, im not sure what to do im using gla tubing so i think its legit. help! :icon_cry:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Does the solenoid get very warm? It's possible that the tubing is stretching and coming loose when it gets warm. I am using clippard co2 tubing which is a little stiffer and doesn't come loose.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Unless you are going to add a clamp to squeeze the tubing in place a barb fitting isn't good for pressurized gas. Buy a small hose clamp at your local hobby shop or hardware store.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Hose clamp, definitely. They make them down to very small diameters. Just go to your local hardware store with a sample of your CO2 tubing, and tell them you need a hose clamp for it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Zip ties won't do the trick. Unless it is a metal zip tie. You can't torque standard zip ties to withstand the pressure.

A good quality hose clamp is needed. NOT the dollar store garbage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
btw, you're working pressure is a bit high. I'm running at 15 psi.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yeah, my working pressure is closer to 10 psi. And that's with a bubble counter, clippard solenoid and fabco needle valve.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
The temperature of the solenoid shouldn't be an issue. I am set up with solenoids and don't have that issue.

Has this happened several times in a row?

Do you have a check valve installed? Is it installed in the right direction? Could an improperly installed check valve be causing enough back pressure to build up and pop the tubing off of the hose barb?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes this has happened several times now, i do have a clippard brass check valve installed after the inline fabco, and the arrow on it points towards the inline bubble counter towards the tank. Is this the correct way for it to be in or do i have it in backwards? this would explain so much, like how water gets past it and into the fabco......

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
The arrow should follow the flow of CO2 from regulator to aquarium

CO2 -> CO2 -> CO2 ->

You have it installed this way?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeh the arrow does follow the flow of Co2 to the aquarium

Regulator --- > solenoid --- > fabco ----> check valve > -- inline -- tank
^ arrow points this way

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
What kind of needle valve is it?

Can you show a picture of the hose barb the tubing keeps blowing off of?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok here is a picture of my setup,

first picture is the parker solenoid to a 1/8 inch barb connection thats where the tubing keeps falling off,

i have an inline fabco nv 55 along with a clippard brass check valve, and inline bubble counter,

i tried two other barb sizes besides the 1/8", a 1/4" and a 3/16" both of those were too big for the tubing.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
a gla glass inline bubble counter, i tried putting 2 wire hose clamps over the barb and tubing to see if this works hopefully it does :bounce:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts