The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the UNS Pro Dual Stage CO2 Regulator and attached it to a brand new 5lb CO2 tank, only have it emptied only after a few days due to an apparent leak from the regulator being loose from the CO2 tank.

I got a new 5lb tank and was just testing out the setup to make sure that doesn't happen again, but I can't figure out why the regular provides a working pressure even though the CO2 tank valve is completely off.

As you can see in this picture, I've disconnected the tubing (no build up there). Tank valve on the right is completely closed. Solenoid is turned on. The regulator knob in the middle is closed in this picture, but when I open it, the regulator releases gas, and it does not stop. The working pressure can even be adjusted up and down. The lowest it goes is pictured (~8-9 psi). This may be a really dumb question, but what's going on here? I thought if the tank valve is closed, the CO2 supply should be just cut off to the regulator regardless of anything else (build-up, solenoid, regulator valve positions).

Any inputs or ideas appreciated.. I need to take this apart in 2 weeks because I'm moving, but I feel like it's going to release CO2 all over the place when I try to take this regulator off.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does the tank pressure gauge drop at all when you are venting the regulator with the tank valve closed? It can take a bit to empty the regulator out, especially if the needle valve is limiting the flow rate.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the tank pressure gauge drop at all when you are venting the regulator with the tank valve closed? It can take a bit to empty the regulator out, especially if the needle valve is limiting the flow rate.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think so. When the bubble counter goes so fast the water splashes out of the small tube, I can see the total pressure slowly go down over about 30 seconds, while the working pressure is constant. This is with the CO2 tank valve completely closed.

I can try to vent the regulator out longer, but can this small device really hold that much CO2?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, I think so. When the bubble counter goes so fast the water splashes out of the small tube, I can see the total pressure slowly go down over about 30 seconds, while the working pressure is constant. This is with the CO2 tank valve completely closed.

I can try to vent the regulator out longer, but can this small device really hold that much CO2?

If the tank pressure gauge is dropping I personally would put it outside and try venting it longer.

Since the tank pressure is essentially the saturation pressure of CO2, the density of the gas leaving the tank is much higher (about 10x) than the low-pressure gas leaving the regulator. As a result, you get a large volume of low-pressure gas from the small volume of high-pressure gas inside your regulator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts