The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, long time no post, I hope everyone is well! I bought a new 5lb CO2 tank to keep one at the ready and not have to rush on filling my one tank whenever it runs out. Since I have this shiny new cylindrical beauty I decided to get it refilled at a fire equipment shop instead of my usual brewery tank swap. Well, it sat for a few weeks in the aquarium room and today after work it was time to put it on. When I slowly opened the tank valve, my regulator gauge went up between 2000 and 2500psi. I kinda freaked out inside, and closed the valve letting the pressure drop back down. Regulator did its job and did not blow up. Thank you regulator. The fire shop is closed for the day, and I sent an email to the guy who built my regulator (asking if it is safe to operate at this high psi) but in the meantime I figured I'd post up and see if any of you fine folks have had any similar experiences. Search turned up a few, but nothing this high... I googled up CO2 burst discs and assume I have a 3000psi one. My big question for regulator builders is: How high are these things generally rated for? Should I bleed off some tank pressure or did I hit the jackpot and this tank will last twice as long? That'd be nice but I honestly felt like MacGruber handling an explosive device as I was closing the valve. Any thoughts here? Thanks

More info:
tank has been in 70 degree room for weeks
I've used this tank before, bought it full from a brewery
regulator usually reads around 1000psi
the cabinet where this will operate is a little warmer than the room, from the heated sump and closed doors but still no more than 75 degrees

Thanks again

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Hi folks, long time no post, I hope everyone is well! I bought a new 5lb CO2 tank to keep one at the ready and not have to rush on filling my one tank whenever it runs out. Since I have this shiny new cylindrical beauty I decided to get it refilled at a fire equipment shop instead of my usual brewery tank swap. Well, it sat for a few weeks in the aquarium room and today after work it was time to put it on. When I slowly opened the tank valve, my regulator gauge went up between 2000 and 2500psi. I kinda freaked out inside, and closed the valve letting the pressure drop back down. Regulator did its job and did not blow up. Thank you regulator. The fire shop is closed for the day, and I sent an email to the guy who built my regulator (asking if it is safe to operate at this high psi) but in the meantime I figured I'd post up and see if any of you fine folks have had any similar experiences. Search turned up a few, but nothing this high... I googled up CO2 burst discs and assume I have a 3000psi one. My big question for regulator builders is: How high are these things generally rated for? Should I bleed off some tank pressure or did I hit the jackpot and this tank will last twice as long? That'd be nice but I honestly felt like MacGruber handling an explosive device as I was closing the valve. Any thoughts here? Thanks

More info:
tank has been in 70 degree room for weeks
I've used this tank before, bought it full from a brewery
regulator usually reads around 1000psi
the cabinet where this will operate is a little warmer than the room, from the heated sump and closed doors but still no more than 75 degrees

Thanks again
No it's not 2x the gas and 2500 is too high overall. If it's temp goes up you may blow the burst disc in it.
IF it is that overfilled go back to your beer guy.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, so here's what my layman brain sees from that chart... I've had plenty of tanks read at 1000psi in 70 degrees F so that looks to be about 117.5% of rated fill. This tank was right between the 2000 and 2500psi so we'll say 2250psi at 70 degrees F and that looks like 135% of rated fill. Seems like such a small difference to get such a drastically different amount of pressure. That line really spikes up around there. But what do I know?, I thought putting 5lbs in a five 5lb tank would make it 100% full! LOL, I guess 110-120% is the sweet spot to get that 850-1000psi at room temperature but that's a little more info than even the folks filling the tanks probably know. I can appreciate how a watch works but mostly just want to know what time it is. I've always assumed they just put it on a scale and tare it, then fill until it hits 5lb? Maybe they thought they were being generous by overfilling? I don't know.... What's a good way to safely bring this puppy back down to the 1000psi range?

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Thanks Jeff, so here's what my layman brain sees from that chart... I've had plenty of tanks read at 1000psi in 70 degrees F so that looks to be about 117.5% of rated fill. This tank was right between the 2000 and 2500psi so we'll say 2250psi at 70 degrees F and that looks like 135% of rated fill. Seems like such a small difference to get such a drastically different amount of pressure. That line really spikes up around there. But what do I know?, I thought putting 5lbs in a five 5lb tank would make it 100% full! LOL, I guess 110-120% is the sweet spot to get that 850-1000psi at room temperature but that's a little more info than even the folks filling the tanks probably know. I can appreciate how a watch works but mostly just want to know what time it is. I've always assumed they just put it on a scale and tare it, then fill until it hits 5lb? Maybe they thought they were being generous by overfilling? I don't know.... What's a good way to safely bring this puppy back down to the 1000psi range?
Just vent it somewhere w/ ventelation.
Find the tare weight engraved in the tank.
Weigh tank and subtract. Will tell you how much co2 is in there.

Will prob be like tare wt plus 6 .4 lbs.

If you don't want to bother just vent it
till the tank is 1# lighter.

Being new , should be easy to find the tare weight.

WATCH FOR COLD AND ICING!!!!!
CO2 is extremely cold.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on! Thanks Jeff, much appreciated

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
TANK MARKINGS..

My tanks list it as TW XX.X

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, definitely PSI. This gauge reads psi and bar, which is a much smaller number. Thanks! It was a little unnerving for sure

Jeff, you are on point with your numbers! Tare weight was 7.71lbs and I only have an analog bathroom scale that's ancient. That's ok though because my empty tank is 7.73lbs and the scale was just shy of 8, good enough for me. Vented down to 14lbs, shooting for your 6.4lbs. Let the threads defrost and hooked the regulator back up and she's sitting at 900lb. I went ahead and closed the tank because it's pretty dang cold still, so we'll turn it back on tomorrow. Thanks again, I feel much better

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a similar situation with overfill. On advice from folks here I took it outside (without regulator) and release the gas in bursts to bring it down. Remember to wear ski gloves or something like that. The whole tank got so cold it was covered in a thick layer of hard snow all over.

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Yep, definitely PSI. This gauge reads psi and bar, which is a much smaller number. Thanks! It was a little unnerving for sure

Jeff, you are on point with your numbers! Tare weight was 7.71lbs and I only have an analog bathroom scale that's ancient. That's ok though because my empty tank is 7.73lbs and the scale was just shy of 8, good enough for me. Vented down to 14lbs, shooting for your 6.4lbs. Let the threads defrost and hooked the regulator back up and she's sitting at 900lb. I went ahead and closed the tank because it's pretty dang cold still, so we'll turn it back on tomorrow. Thanks again, I feel much better
So do I...... :)
Well 6.4 was overfilled co2 weight.
Total weight w/ 5# of co2 would be 13# approx . No matter. It worked that's all that counts.
As the tank warms pressure may rise more.
See some extra and safer.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
sorry I didn't read the responses.. maybe some said this already.

From paintball I know that a co2 tank can become charged. basically the fluids go with the air and since fluids are harder to move they create more pressure, in short. This happens when the tank is tipped for too long towards the nozzle. I would assume this would only happen with a co2 tank for fish in transport or in improper storage as most of these can stand up and have the nozzle and regulator straight up. That or the regulator needs maintenance.

[EDIT] After looking at other posts and your comments, if this was the issue it can be cleared by letting the tank rest in the correct position for I'd say at least 5 minutes. then hit that pin and let out a few, no more than half a dozen, quick bursts and you should be in business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts