The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I want to get into a co2 system since my plants seems to be quite stunted and not really growing. For now it's only a 10gal, as it's my first and doing some experimentation with what works and how things look, and will eventually upgrade to something larger.

Currently have for plants are:

Java Moss
Java Fern
Moss balls
Bronze crypt
Water Wisteria
Money wort
Horn wort
Amazon sword
Ludwigia Repens

Not doing to bad as there is the flourish exel that I'm dosing with

Went to the LFS and looked at the Ista professional setup though it is quite small. comes with regulator and 1 litre tank...some reviews state a problem refilling cause of fittings not north American compatible...anyone have or use this brand?

There was also mention on here about GLA, seems impressive and comes with just about everything but being in Canada and with the exchange rate, it's going to be really pricey...but is the product worth it?

Then there was the CarbonDoser electronic Co2 System a bit cheaper but looks like several other accessories would have to be purchased to make a complete system...and again with the exchange rate probably will get pricey.

Also thought about maybe perhaps making my own, but don't really want to travel down that road since I don't know what I'm doing...

any thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Being in the same situation as you, I recently sprang for a custom assembled used dual stage regulator and I'm piecing together a reactor system to go with my canister filter. All in, I'll be around $300 which isn't cheap, but isn't expensive either.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Being in the same situation as you, I recently sprang for a custom assembled used dual stage regulator and I'm piecing together a reactor system to go with my canister filter. All in, I'll be around $300 which isn't cheap, but isn't expensive either.
YouTube/ google the aquatek regulators. Comes with a electronic solenoid and a three in one diffuser/check valve/ bubble counter for ~$85

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm in the process of building my own. I'm just waiting on 3 more parts and I'm done. It's fun getting all the parts and putting them together. I'm also up to the $300 range, but my $80 ultra-line regulator sells for $999 used on evilbay. I'm also building a completely stainless steel setup, but it's totally overkill. Brass gets the job done, is easier to find and is a lot cheaper. So with a little bit of research and help from other hobbyists, you can build a really nice setup.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay so I want to get into a co2 system since my plants seems to be quite stunted and not really growing. For now it's only a 10gal, as it's my first and doing some experimentation with what works and how things look, and will eventually upgrade to something larger.

Currently have for plants are:

Java Moss
Java Fern
Moss balls
Bronze crypt
Water Wisteria
Money wort
Horn wort
Amazon sword
Ludwigia Repens

Not doing to bad as there is the flourish exel that I'm dosing with

Went to the LFS and looked at the Ista professional setup though it is quite small. comes with regulator and 1 litre tank...some reviews state a problem refilling cause of fittings not north American compatible...anyone have or use this brand?

There was also mention on here about GLA, seems impressive and comes with just about everything but being in Canada and with the exchange rate, it's going to be really pricey...but is the product worth it?

Then there was the CarbonDoser electronic Co2 System a bit cheaper but looks like several other accessories would have to be purchased to make a complete system...and again with the exchange rate probably will get pricey.

Also thought about maybe perhaps making my own, but don't really want to travel down that road since I don't know what I'm doing...

any thoughts?
All of your plants should be growing *fine* without CO2. None of those are demanding plants and will all grow well without CO2.

If growth is stunted and/or not happening there is something else wrong (substrate, ferts, light, etc) and adding CO2 is not going to resolve it.

What are your water parameters?
What substrate are you using?
What ferts are you using and what is your dosing routine?
What lights are you using on the tank?

·
Registered
918 Posts
All of your plants should be growing *fine* without CO2. None of those are demanding plants and will all grow well without CO2.

If growth is stunted and/or not happening there is something else wrong (substrate, ferts, light, etc) and adding CO2 is not going to resolve it.

I agree with this, and you should get good growth without co2, BUT, if you want to try co2, it would allow you to experiment with different plants and get faster, more lush growth out of the plants you have.

I just did a search and found a club that you might be interested in:
http://peelaquariumclub.org/

If you do want to try co2, I see that you live near Toronto. Is there a local aquarium club in your area? Do a search online and see if there is a club. Often in one of the clubs, you can get someone with experience to put together a good system. Usually the clubs have classified ads, too, and sometimes people are selling a good system. That is how I got mine and I have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with this, and you should get good growth without co2, BUT, if you want to try co2, it would allow you to experiment with different plants and get faster, more lush growth out of the plants you have.
The problem is that if he isn't getting growth under his current setup, adding CO2 won't do anything to help the problem.

If CO2 was the limiting factor (Nutrients [via substrate and ferts] and light were in order) he would be seeing good growth. This is not the case and the plants lack either nutrients or light.

Adding CO2 to this will not help them grow any better as they are already missing something fundamental to their growth.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

What are your water parameters?
What substrate are you using?
What ferts are you using and what is your dosing routine?
What lights are you using on the tank?
Agree. Are you sure the essential nutrients are in adequate supply? Are your lights strong enough?

I was completely sold on CO2 after a couple weeks of seeing pearling but even more when I saw my perfectly happy plants stop getting green fur algae on mature leaves. My preCO2 method of algae control was put lots of light over easy to grow plants so they would out grow the algae. I used one of those potassium/iron liquid supplements on faith and the well fed fish must have covered the N and P requirements.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for replying...this is a great learning curve in this hobby and I can only get better at it with lots of advice...thanks again for sharing

Substrate I am using is Seachem Flourite

Lighting is Current Usa Satellite Freshwater plus pro which is on from 745 till 530

water parameters are as follows

Nitrate 2mg/L with nitrogen from nitrate at 0.227
Nitrite 0,1mg/L with nitrogen from nitrite at .030
PH 7.0
Ammonia .6 with nitrogen from ammonia at .49

I have fertilizer root tabs (6)spread out evenly through out the substrate

Dosing with Flourish, Flousrish Excel, Iron, and now Nitrogen since the Amazon Sword leaves are showing yellowing

Flourish, 1/2 cap every 2 days

Excel , cap every 2 days

Nitrogen 2ml every 2 days

Iron cap every 3 days

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a 10 gallon tank (which as I have heard that parameter control tends to swing more than in a large tank)

according to the 5 in 1 test strip the GH is about 180 and KH is about 120

there is also 2 kinds of driftwood in there, Malaysian and some other one (that I had to soak for a couple of weeks to sink it)

livestock includes Neons, Cardinals, Bloodfin, Glowlight, Orange bee & Red Cherry Shrimp, and a pleco

(yeah it's a lot going on in this little tank)

·
Registered
871 Posts
The problem is that if he isn't getting growth under his current setup, adding CO2 won't do anything to help the problem.
That's not correct. More CO2 allows plants to switch their production of enzymes, allowing for the better utilization of light and other nutrients. Adding CO2 to a system where plants aren't growing well can cause them to start growing well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.