The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to the forums, but everyone seems very helpful. I've kept aquariums for a few years including planted ones with varying degrees of success because I never used co2. I Recently purchased a kegerator and have a taprite regulator with two product lines and gauges (1 for keg and 1 for aquarium hopefully). The taprite product page says that they are 5/16 barb shutoff with check. Is that the standard size for barbs? I'm looking to buy the rest of the equipment for my system. Are solenoids sold without regulators? If so, will they fit my regulator? What else do I need?

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
5/16" is a standard size for barbs that are used for kegging, I suppose.

Most people will opt to remove the shut off valve on their regulators. I am not sure what regulator you have, though from the sounds of it, your regulator has two outputs. If this is the case (and both have a shut off valve), you can remove one of them.

Yes, it is possible to purchase a solenoid by itself. You will likely need some adapters/reducers to go from the output of the regulator to the solenoid (output is typically 1/4" and solenoids are typically 1/8", though 1/4" solenoids also do exist). Don't forget a needle/metering valve as well.

For other parts, you can take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below).

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Since you are thinking outside the box and willing to do some mods, there are almost unlimited ways to go. I assume the beer kegging and tank may be separated at least a bit so that the tank CO2 will be on longer tubing? Sounds like place where I would go for mounting the solenoid and needle valves inline but separated from the reg itself.
I find one of the problems I have with units all hard plumbed is that it is easy to break something. The CO2 tank is somewhat heavy and awkward so small parts can get in the way. I use the Taprite reg but only single output. There seems to be a question on the barb fitting size. Drawing shows 1/4 "? Mine came with 1/4 but I did not use it but just removed it and used a 1/4" NPT to barb that fits my tubing on some builds. Others I added the solenoids directly to the output and then went tubing to the other parts. Lots of options!
This is one that I find cheaper to set due to the price of items using the 10-32 size fitting and very flexible for mounting where I like each item. I hang the Fluval bubble counter inline but it is low and out of sight.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.