The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Having basically given up trying to find a place that will refill the small bottles most of the commercial CO2 systems come with (Aqua Medic, Dupla, etc), I've more or less decided that it's best if I build myself a system and use readily available Soda Stream bottles. If anyone else is doing them, I'd really like some advice.

Soda Stream bottle adaptor - not a problem, a guy on eBay is selling them for homebrew purposes.

Regulator - again, eBay has plenty that are designed for home brew, but are these suitable for aquarium use? One I've got my eye on is a Harris 601; it's dual gauge and the price is very reasonable. What kind of working pressure do you want to be sending to the needle valve?

Needle Valve - where do people recommend getting one of these in Australia? Welding shop? Is there anything in particular that's required for aquarium use (other than a very fine degree of control)?

Control Solenoid - eventually I want to get (or build) a pH controller and have an automated system... recommendations.

Just to thicken the plot... I've found a place selling the AZOO CO2 dual reg that has both a needle valve and solenoid built in... for AUD$150. That sounds pretty darn good price-wise - anyone know if they're any good?

Cheers, Ben.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Home brew regulators work just fine. In fact they usually work better than regulators built for aquariums.

Working pressure depends on a lot of factors. Usually between 10-20 psi.

I highly doubt you would find a needle valve at a welding shop. They are not used in common welding applications. And if they did have one it would not provide fine enough control. PM me about a needle valve.

Once we get you set up with a needle valve you can normally get a solenoid from the same place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.