The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ,ive looked at so many co2 systems my head is spinning!.....
my set up is simple 55g
2-54w t5 HO's
350 bio wheel
dual DIY co2
just looking for a pressurized co2 system that is simple, more consistent than my DIY system and can be put on a timer with my lights.
inunderstand that quality costs, but i dont want to break the bank.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

I usually recommend the DRs F&S system I have three and never had any problems. You will have to zip tie the output on the bubble counter and do NOT use the nylon seal/washer that comes with this setup as it will get stuck.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You will always regret it if you buy the cheapest aquarium CO2 regulator assembly. Why not go to GLA and get an assembly that you know will work very well, at not that much more cost?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I did a lot of research on CO2 systems before buying as well. This one, as recommended by Ed, seems the best overall value at $117+shipping if the diffuser, etc.. are adequate for your tank. One thing that's missing is an integrated bubble counter. An inline ctr works fine, but is one more thing to have inline, potentially leak, and depending on your layout may be difficult to read.

If this "kit" does not meet your requirements, then look for the same Azoo Regulator on eBay and get the other components that you need that best suit your setup.

BUT, before you do anything, shop the best sources - SumoRegulator, GLA, Rexx Grigg... and compare the total outlay for an ENTIRE system to the Azoo and DIY options. You may find it not that much more expensive and since this is a one-time purchase, a good place to spend extra $$$ if you have it.

Best option of all for value is DIY using premium components sourced by the auction and classified sites. Ther is a lot of info on doing so in the Equipment forum.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On a side note, how long does a 5lb tank typically last?

How much does it cost to refill?

I'm sick of DIY.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You will always regret it if you buy the cheapest aquarium CO2 regulator assembly. Why not go to GLA and get an assembly that you know will work very well, at not that much more cost?
There is nothing wrong with going the cheap route. That DRs system is trouble free for me. I have been running three of them for 3+ years and have not had a problem.

On a side note, how long does a 5lb tank typically last?

How much does it cost to refill?

I'm sick of DIY.
That's hard to say. A 5lb lastes me approx 3 months on my 90, but 8 months or more on my 15. It costs approx $15 dollars to fill.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
On a 55, a 5# cylinder should last one to six months. Just the answer you were looking for. The real answer is, it depends on everything being in balance.

As for refill cost, last week - in Lansing, Michigan - a 5# swap at Purity was $15.00. A 5# fill at DeLau Fire Services was $10.00. My 10# Aluminum cylinder cost $15.00 to refill at DeLau. Your mileage will vary depending on local sources.

By the way, my suggestion is purchase a complete kit from one source and don't mess around trying to fit things together your self. I'm an avid DIY'r, but that $117.00 system from Drs. F&S is a really great price for a full starting kit. You won't regret it after you have it up and running.

·
Registered
433 Posts

I usually recommend the DRs F&S system I have three and never had any problems. You will have to zip tie the output on the bubble counter and do NOT use the nylon seal/washer that comes with this setup as it will get stuck.
do you have a pic of this system on your aquarium? Just curious about the bubble counter

·
Registered
486 Posts
Pics are goooood. I wouldn't mind picking up the CO2 set-up shown above, but how the hell do you connect it to your tank? How does the CO2 actually enter the water? Is something connected to the end of that blue tube?

<---CO2 newb.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
If you going to go the cheap route. I would personally use a Milwaukee MA957. The Milwaukee has an adjustable control knob and a built in bubble counter made of glass and metal. The DrsF&S is an Azoo that has a really cheap plastic bubble counter that easily breaks and would be a weak point for leaks. It also does not have an adjustable control knob which makes it more difficult to fine tune the bubble rate.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you going to go the cheap route. I would personally use a Milwaukee MA957. The Milwaukee has an adjustable control knob and a built in bubble counter made of glass and metal. The DrsF&S is an Azoo that has a really cheap plastic bubble counter that easily breaks and would be a weak point for leaks. It also does not have an adjustable control knob which makes it more difficult to fine tune the bubble rate.
The Azoo that comes with this system does have a needle valve that I have been able to adjust down to 1 bubble every three or 4 seconds (never had to go lower than that).

As for the bubble counter... I have never had any problems with my three. I don't refill by taking the top off. Instead I fill though it though the output tube at the sink.

The regualtor itself comes preadjusted and I have never had a need to adjust one. But they could be adjusted with the proper sized socket or wrench.

These systems get bashed all the time: "They're cheap", "Bubble Counter sucks", "Needle valve is useless" "etc" - you name it. I just sit back and laugh. Mine have worked flawlessly right out of the box each and everytime I have set one up. And at bargain prices too!

Also since the bubble counter is "remote" I like putting it in a safe and easily viewable location. I have two mounted on the wall beside two tanks and one mounted on the side of a tank stand on the other.

I like them and I do not see any reason to spend hundreds of dollars more. I like doing things on the cheap and these fit the bill perfectly.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
EdtheEdge,

Please reread my post. I never stated that the Azoo doesn't have a needle valve just no control knob. If you give me a regulator with a built-in bubble counter made of metal and glass versus a plastic one with plastic tubing "I" would say the former is more secure. BTW I have both of these regulators and "I" definitely prefer the Milwaukee. Not sure where you shop but both the Milwaukee and the Azzo are about the same price and the Azoo doesn't come with a bubble counter (unless you buy that kit from DFS) or the stated control knob. So for the money "I" would personally recommend the Milwaukee over the Azoo. Please don't state things like "I do not see any reason to spend hundreds of dollars more" when we are comparing two very similiar priced products.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Got all that D.S. ? :)

I'd say that the diffuser in that "kit" is a little small for a 55g. If I were you I'd go to eBay and price out an entire setup:
-regulator
-bubble counter (if not integrated with regulator)
-diffuser of adequate size
-tubing
-electric solenoid if you want to stop adding CO2 at night (not all agree CO2 at night is a risk to fish, but at the very least it will make your CO2 tank last 2x longer)
-cost of CO2 cylinder (or startup in exchange program)

Then see where you are in $$$. You may find that one of the major sellers could create a "kit" for you that isn't that much more than the Azoo/Milswaukee option and you'd have a one-time expense that is backed by positive experience universally.

If you have time, DIY with sourced parts from eBay/Craigslist will get you the most for your money. Look up threads in the forum , there are many good how-to posts.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
House,

I meant the kit from the Drs. It is plug and play right out of the box. Add a CO2 tank and your diffusing CO2 in about 15 minutes. And at $116 you would be hard pressed to find another system that cheap.

As for the Milwaukee I am sure it is a fine regulator. I have no experince with it...just the Azoo. I recommend the DRs kit for the price and I know it works. It's a good beginners kit and I stand by it.

You could spend hundreds of dollars on these things or you could spend just over a hundred. What anyone decides to spend is up to them. I am not and have never knocked or trashed any other regulator. One day I'd like to own a GLA Ultimate system but until I can justify spending that much I will continue to enjoy the setup that has proven itself to me over and over again.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Edge,

No problem and people have different experiences with the same regulator. I have both so I can make a good comparison. The Azoo works I just think for the same money the Milwaukee offers more. The Milwaukee is around $80 and has the built-in bubble counter. So the only thing you would have to add is a ceramic diffusor ($15), tubing
($2), and a timer ($10) and you have the same kit as the Drs one at about the same price.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Last time I did CO2 I just bought a welding regulator and did some DIY stuff and had good results with that Drilling a hole in the whisper filters intake tube and glueing a fitting there. Used sillicone tubing and having a needle valve to adjust the amount of CO2. My 20lb tank lasted a long time with the 20 gallon and I had great results. All depends on how fancy you want to get I guess. Between tank and regulator the other stuff I don't think I was much over $150. I may get one of those solenoid valves though for my new setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.