The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 gallon long tank only 12" high
Dwarf baby tears plant all over the flourite sand( which is a success in my 7 gallon)
Flourish root tabs
Finnex 24/7 LED
Aquaclear 30
Small tiny 40gph aquatop pump right above the diffuser so it blows the bubbles around the tank for better co2 distribution around the tank (which my Fluval nano filter does in the 7 gallon via the spray bar which also slightly ripples the surface)

My question is in this tank the surface barely moves because its a hob aquaclear and it just moves straight forward facing water infront.

I added another Tetra Whisper 10 on the left side and now it seems to moves the whole surface slight ripple which looks and i see movement around the whole tank now. I have spongr on both filter intakes for shrimps.

here are the pics and a video please tell me if this much surface agitation won't gas out the co2... thank you very much!

Youtube Video: https://youtu.be/_oXIZKIHvss

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
There should be enough surface movement to keep the dust or scum away. It gets churned into the water and the filters remove it. If there is not enough water movement the scum can accumulate and this reduces gas exchange, meaning there is less oxygen in the water.
Yes, more surface movement does allow more CO2 to off gas, but that is OK.
Generally, the balance between keeping the CO2 in the water, and keeping the oxygen levels up is good when there is some ripple showing. I would not go with less than what you have now.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
I have found if you have more surface movement, you can crank the co2 a little further.

More oxygen for the fish, and more co2 for the plants. You may use more co2, but co2 is cheap.

In general, surface movement is good and healthy for any aquarium.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i want to get something with spraybar but how long is the spray bar? Is it noisy? Remember my tank is 30long

btw anyone trying to grow dwarf baby tears carpet, you need flow pushing your co2 bubbles around the tank!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah i want to get something with spraybar but how long is the spray bar? Is it noisy? Remember my tank is 30long

btw anyone trying to grow dwarf baby tears carpet, you need flow pushing your co2 bubbles around the tank!
Your first post says you have a 20 long. I use a Eheim g65 (drilled holes on spraybay)on my 20 long.

Fully planted

I also use a 60 sponge filter it holds my Orange Eye Royal Blue Tigers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.