The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back with more questions. Still not completely clear to me. So surface agitation is fine to a point while running CO2, so long as we are not creating air bubbles, which degas the tank. I plan to run a powerhead, low power, to increase flow while running CO2. I'll make sure the powerhead is positioned much below surface and that I use a small sponge. I wont crank the powerhead enough to disturb too much. I should know the answer and I think I do but to clarify this seen as Im not yet at a stage where I can measure for myself, is this fine? Won't degas?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm back with more questions. Still not completely clear to me. So surface agitation is fine to a point while running CO2, so long as we are not creating air bubbles, which degas the tank. I plan to run a powerhead, low power, to increase flow while running CO2. I'll make sure the powerhead is positioned much below surface and that I use a small sponge. I wont crank the powerhead enough to disturb too much. I should know the answer and I think I do but to clarify this seen as Im not yet at a stage where I can measure for myself, is this fine? Won't degas?
Stop worrying so much. You're going to degas some of the co2. You cant possibly contain 100% of it and if you did you'd be killing your fish quicker. What works for some might not work for others. You've got to try a few things and see what works well for you.

In the grand scheme of things co2 is cheap. If you have a bit of surface agitation and end up "wasting" some its not going to break the bank. You'll still get the desired effect in your tank but just might have to pump a bit more co2 to do it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The goal of surface agitation is oxygenating the water. CO2 and O2 are not a see-saw. You can saturate the water with both, however your fish can only breathe one. As long as you don't have whitecaps at the top of your tank you will be fine. Worry more about keeping your water oxygenated enough for your fish, not about out gassing CO2.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stop worrying so much. You're going to degas some of the co2. You cant possibly contain 100% of it and if you did you'd be killing your fish quicker. What works for some might not work for others. You've got to try a few things and see what works well for you.

In the grand scheme of things co2 is cheap. If you have a bit of surface agitation and end up "wasting" some its not going to break the bank. You'll still get the desired effect in your tank but just might have to pump a bit more co2 to do it.
That was the wisdom I needed all along

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I run a reef ready system and a sump with a decent amount of aeration going on. My BPS is roughly the same as when I ran a canister filter. It is slightly higher but not enough so that you could count in the matter of one second. My pH drops to the same level as before. As others have said Co2 is cheap and fish rely on oxygen in the water much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.