The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple CO2 set up that I made. It's just a small keg regulator that uses CO2 cartidges with a bubble counter/needle valve attached to it. I'm going to be changing it froma ceramic diffuser to a griggs reactor when I get my new tank sorted out. The only downside to it is that I don't have a solenoid for it, I just turn it on when I wake up, then turn it off about an hour before the lights go out.

I've been looking for a solenoid I can just put in between the regulator and needle valve but I don't know what I should be looking for. I've seen some that have a cord and some that just have two wires, some have fittings for tubes and some have female/male fittings.

The threads I have are 3/8npt I believe
I'd prefer one that already has a plug
I need it to be able to be able to have 3/8" fittings attached(one male/one female)

Anyone have recommendations on brands or where to find one?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to this morning but I didn't have time. It's kind of ghetto and not the most efficient, but it works like a charm.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
I have a simple CO2 set up that I made. It's just a small keg regulator that uses CO2 cartidges with a bubble counter/needle valve attached to it. I'm going to be changing it froma ceramic diffuser to a griggs reactor when I get my new tank sorted out. The only downside to it is that I don't have a solenoid for it, I just turn it on when I wake up, then turn it off about an hour before the lights go out.

I've been looking for a solenoid I can just put in between the regulator and needle valve but I don't know what I should be looking for. I've seen some that have a cord and some that just have two wires, some have fittings for tubes and some have female/male fittings.

The threads I have are 3/8npt I believe
I'd prefer one that already has a plug
I need it to be able to be able to have 3/8" fittings attached(one male/one female)

Anyone have recommendations on brands or where to find one?

Clippard mouse w/ hose barbs would work fine most likely.
Just cut your outlet hose and attach.
Just a lot easier..

Most common usable solenoids come w/ 1/8, 1/4NPT or 10-32 or 5mm female threads

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure it is mechanism. If you can read the output pressure and this pressure is within the safety range, also it can hold steady while the co2 flow blocked(as a power off solenoid), I think you put a solenoid on it.
It has a gauge that goes up to 30 psi, I keep it at 15 psi. I've held it closed with the needle valve before, worst case it will release pressure out of it's safety port. I just wasn't sure what solenoid to get, there are so many options, most of which require you add on a plug for an outlet. I'm comfortable wiring a car because it's low voltage but house wiring scares me still, it can give a bit more than a small shock.

Clippard mouse w/ hose barbs would work fine most likely.
Just cut your outlet hose and attach.
Just a lot easier..

Most common usable solenoids come w/ 1/8, 1/4NPT or 10-32 or 5mm female threads
I'd prefer to put it before the hose, the check valve is in the bubble counter. Thanks for the link, I'll break out my calipers and re-check thread size. I might be able to just get a female to male thread adapter to make it work.

I'll probably upgrade to an actual tank and regulator eventually. I just have a ton of cartridges left, it's also an hour drive to the closest refill place so prices wouldn't really even out for a couple of years.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
It has a gauge that goes up to 30 psi, I keep it at 15 psi. I've held it closed with the needle valve before, worst case it will release pressure out of it's safety port. I just wasn't sure what solenoid to get, there are so many options, most of which require you add on a plug for an outlet. I'm comfortable wiring a car because it's low voltage but house wiring scares me still, it can give a bit more than a small shock.

I'd prefer to put it before the hose, the check valve is in the bubble counter. Thanks for the link, I'll break out my calipers and re-check thread size. I might be able to just get a female to male thread adapter to make it work.

I'll probably upgrade to an actual tank and regulator eventually. I just have a ton of cartridges left, it's also an hour drive to the closest refill place so prices wouldn't really even out for a couple of years.
Well, maybe just go a step further since you are taking it apart at the regulator.
Can always be used in next build.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like most of the stuff on that website is out of stock. I think I'm going to go with a Milwaukee MA955 and some fittings to make everything go together. It's the only other option I've seen that doesn't have a bunch of little mods needed still.

Fun fact, I didn't realize that(Although I shoud've) that NPT threads are measured wierd. 3/8 OD is actually 1/8" npt, so everything will fit fairly easily.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't tested it yet, but it all fit together using a few fittings. Should be plug and play other than the fittings(1/8" NPT).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts