The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY SETUP : Dennerle Nano 10 liters---( co2 bomb - citric acid+baking soda) ---> (On/Of Solenoid +programmable socket)--->(glass check valve)--->(glass bubble counter)-->(co2 flow regulator)--->(ceramic diffuser).

PROBLEM :So i made a schedule 1 hour before lights are on to start the co2 but in the morning after the solenoid opens the co2 will make 1 bubble/40 seconds instead of 1 bubble /4 seconds how it was set up previous day . I have to crank up the regulator slightly to reach the 1bubble/4 seconds but right after i achieve this the bubble rate will increase even more so i have to move the regulator back where it started this way will resume the normal flow ... what could it be ? does it matter the position of the regulator ? because i placed it right before the glass difuser after the check valve and bubble counter.
So the problem is that Co2 wont resume the normal flow unless i intervene manually cranking up and back down the regulator .Anyone encountered this problem ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,174 Posts
This is quite common. When the CO2 first turns on, it will take some time to reestablish the necessary pressure. This means that the previously set bubble rate may take some time to achieve. Have you tried waiting (say an hour) before adjusting the bubble rate?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
The problem can be the fluctuations in the pressure of the backing soda bottle. Day to day pressure can vary enough to cause the change in bubble rate. I've nearly eliminated that problem by varying the position of the citric acid tube with a magnet. This limits the amount of citric acid that's available which limits pressure fluctuations. I'm not familiar with your setup so that may not help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,292 Posts
some "lag" is expected.. but I still suggest setting it up the "standard" way..
CO2.. Metering valve.. bubble counter.. check valve..ceramic disc...........

AFAICT each piece affects pressure/flow to a certain extent. Your main drop will be from CO2 to regulator valve to output I believe..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved

Initial configuration which seamed to be working but didn't start back in the morning [co2 bomb(citric acid+baking soda 2 liters bottles )] ---> solenoid --->check valve--->bubble counter --->needle valve---> nano ceramic difuser.
I have changed initially the check valve position placed it after the bubble counter and before the needle valve but it didn't make any difference.
The issue was that once the solenoid would open the pressure built behind it would give an initial burst of co2 but the problem was that that burst was stopped by the needle valve and very very slowly released in the difuser taking too much time to see a result in the bubbles in the aquarium.
What i
have ended up doing was to change the location of the needle valve so instead of having it on the upper edge of the fish tank right before the difuser i have placed it immediately after the pressurized bottles how it was initially with the D 301 co2 kit this configuration allowing enough extra pressure to build behind the solenoid valve when its closed so when it turns on the extra pressure to be enough to burst through the ceramic difuser giving the initial jump start .

So the configuration which seams to be working is [co2 bomb(citric acid+baking soda 2 liters bottles )] --->needle valve---> solenoid --->check valve--->bubble counter ---> nano ceramic difuser.

For those interested if you can use a solenoid with a diy citric acid and baking soda and a ceramic difuser the answer is YES but the position of the needle valve in relation to the solenoid it does matter . Hope it helps.
Thank you for the replies .
Ps : i have attached a picture with the final configuration with the needle valve removed from the top of the tank which you can see in the first picture .

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.