The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im setting up a co2 setup on 55g with plants of course Ivegot half gallon glass pickle jar. wine yeast of course sugar and tubing how far below aquarium level does it need to be how much sugar and how much yeast? First attempt at the co2 so need feed back.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i had a co2 diy on my 75 gal tank and the difference was immediately noticeable
plants that were just sitting there for months doing nothing starting growing within days.
used 1 2 lt bottle, eventually added an other then abandoned it for tank and reg

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have high light, T5HO 78w. 40g. At first, I started out with 1 2L bottle yeast activated CO2. It was OK at first. As more plants were added and they were continue to grow, I added a second bottle. I staggered them because the rate CO2 is produced is inconsistent throughout the week, per bottle. The first couple of days, you will get more CO2 produced. At mid week, you get less. Basically, I have to change one bottle for every 3 day. I can live with that if it wasn't for the fact that a 5lb sugar would cost me $4. It would only last me a week or 2 to use them up on 2 bottles. It is too much work and not cost effective. Now, I upgraded to a paintball CO2 system. See here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...5582-fs-new-paintball-co2-setup-complete.html

A 20oz CO2 tank would last me 2 to 3 months with 2 to 3 bps. The refill only costs me $6. The whole unit is only $41. For a 55g tank, unless you use low light, yeast activated CO2 won't cut it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
im setting up a co2 setup on 55g with plants of course Ivegot half gallon glass pickle jar. wine yeast of course sugar and tubing how far below aquarium level does it need to be how much sugar and how much yeast? First attempt at the co2 so need feed back.
I would use a check valve in the line going to the tank. Also, you'll likely have an easier time with a 2L plastic bottle, since they are designed to seal against internal pressure and glass jars aren't. In any case, you're looking at roughly 2 cups of flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and at least 2 cups of water, though adding more doesn't hurt at all and can keep the mix going longer if you like to let it run out before replacing. Add 1/4-1/2 tsp of yeast and wait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You must have one efficient diffuser/reactor if you can manage that by just injecting 1 bps on a tank that size.

Did you have a drop checker?
First of all, I am no expert. I am just getting started back in the hobby after a LONG time away.

It could have been something else with the pH but I know when I started the DIY CO2 the pH dropped definitely within a couple of days. All I am doing is a liter bottle of the yeast/sugar and a gatorade bottle for a bubble counter/filter. I am just using a plain old air stone for the diffuser. It stays running pretty strong all of the time.

The water out of the tap where I am is 7.8 pH. My tank is consistently at 6.6 now. The only change I have made is using Flourish once a week and the CO2.

Please don't think I am trying to make wild claims. Just giving what I thought was a objective comment. Certainly could be wrong. :icon_smil

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble :( DIY co2 on a 55g is extremely ineffective.
+1
The main issue is CONSISTANCY. Yes 2 or even 3 bottles are required, made on different days so that when 1 is "dying out" the others are there to pick up the slack UNTIL you can refill the now DEAD bottle. A whole lot of work for very little gain. TRUST ME I owned a 55 and ran DIY on it. Once you break that consistancy that's when the mean BAD BBA invades.

i had a co2 diy on my 75 gal tank and the difference was immediately noticeable
plants that were just sitting there for months doing nothing starting growing within days.
used 1 2 lt bottle, eventually added an other then abandoned it for tank and reg

ANYTHING is better than nothing, you could have gotten the same results with less work out of a bottle of excel. Its the consistancy that's the issue IN large diy tanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts