The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I recently moved and my pressurized CO2 setup didn't make it all that well. First there was a major leak in the connection just before the regulator. I fixed that with some new pipe compound on the threads. Now I get everything going and all I can get out of it is maybe 1 bps but I cant even sustain that for long. No other leaks showed up when I tested. High pressure reads almost full tank of CO2, low pressure reads 30psi for my atomic diffuser. No matter how much I play with the needle valve I can't get enough CO2 to actually make it to my tank.

So here is the question.... What is wrong? Did I mess up with the pipe compound? I put too much on for my liking by accident but tried to wipe some off with a paper towel as best as I could. Could it be that something really broke during the move? How could I test for that?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
A couple of possibilities, in order of likelihood:

1) Glycerine from a bubble counter got into the Atomic diffuser?
2) Pipe compound or other debris got into the needle valve?

Either one will cause a clog resulting in the problems you describe.

I'd disconnect the diffuser first, running CO2 into a cup of water and see if the needle valve still allows you to adjust bubble rate. If so, by process of elimination, that would point to glycerine in the diffuser.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Is this the reg?

My guess is that something either got into the needle valve or the diffuser is clogged. Worse case would be a broken needle valve. Like the needle part broke off inside.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
yep, that or its leaking at or before the needle valve...
+1, check for the leak.
The possibility of failed components is really weak, they are high quality parts and built by Oldpunk78.
I suspect the leak is somewhere after the needle valve, before the bubble counter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I did that and it seemed to fix that situation. Then I find out my check valve is clogged, fixed that. Then my diffuser seemed to be clogged also so I replaced it with my spare and will be cleaning that. I hope all of this holds...

On another note I need to figure out how to check for leaks better. I am currently spraying soapy water on the joints and hoping to see bubbles but it just seems to all run off and I get nothing. Does that mean no leaks or am I doing it wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts