The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what I think is a deal for a complete setup for Co2. It has a 10lb tank, the regulator with gauges and a solenoid. They are asking $125 for it. Is that a good deal. I do not know the brand of regulator, but I think it may be a Milwuakee. It was previously used on a salt water tank, but I would like to use it for my plants. It has a little rust around the gauges, but otherwise appears to be in great condition.

Is this a good deal and will it work ok on a planted tank?

Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Depends on the brand of the stuff in the setup.

If Milwuakee.....so so. You can almost buy new for the same price

If Victor - grab it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would I know if it is a dual stage. It has two control knobs on it. It does not look like this Milwaukee regulator, but it does not look like a Victor either. It may possibly be a JBJ regulator, but there is no brand name anywhere on it. Only a part number of 050103 that I could not find any reference to on the internet. I will post some pictures of it once I get it home.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would think its probably a pretty good deal. For the most part you are going to be paying close to $100 just for the 10lb tank. If it is a complete system, especially with a diffuser, you could probably come out ahead even if you had to replace the regulator.

·
Registered
336 Posts
See if you can get the date of the last hydro test. If it's over 5 years, you'll have to have one before it's filled again. Test is ~$25.00

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of it. Now that I can look at it closer, it does appear to be a Milwaukee regulator.

It was also full when I purchased it, so I am told at least. As far as the Hydro test, I believe I can take it down to the welding center and they will juts swap tanks with me when the time comes for a test.

·
Super Moderator
11,986 Posts
I would pass on this. The regulator (indeed it appears to be a Milwaukee with a Clippard needle valve) looks to be in iffy condition to me.

Edit: Figure that a 10 lb tank costs about 80 USD; that means you are getting the Milwaukee regulator in iffy condition for 45 USD...not the best deal, but...

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
How would I know if it is a dual stage. It has two control knobs on it. It does not look like this Milwaukee regulator, but it does not look like a Victor either. It may possibly be a JBJ regulator, but there is no brand name anywhere on it. Only a part number of 050103 that I could not find any reference to on the internet. I will post some pictures of it once I get it home.
The great Victor thread had been moved to this site.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6470-Dual-Stage-Regulators

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will go with this for now, but plan on upgrading it in the near future and just look at this as a stepping stone. I need to get two co2 setups up and running and don't have much money to do it. This will at least get me started.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Get rid of that clippard valve. In combination with the Milwaukee reg you are going to want to off yourself with that clippard. They are insanely touchy. invest in a good needle valve/metering valve and rest better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am finding that out. I have been trying to dial it in all day. I can either get it set to off, or 3 bubbles per second, but not much in between.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts