The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 setup - all this info has my head spinning

1091 8
Hey folks,

So, I have my heart set on setting up a CO2 system for my newly purchased 50g tank. I've been reading up on what parts I need, and who makes quality parts, but it's becoming a VERY overwhelming. I finally decided on purchasing a dual-stage regulator, so I decided to check the internet for a Concoa or Matheson one. Well, how they heck do you go about buying one? I didn't realize that you can't just go to their website and purchase one. :( I have a feeling it's going to be like that for the other parts I need too, i.e. solenoid, needle valve, etc.

Also, Concoa and Matheson make a TON of different models. How do I know that I'm buying the correct one?

I'm at the point of just giving up and sticking with a low-tech tank, which makes me sad. I REALLY want a lush, Dutch-style tank.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
I had the same spinning head feeling as you when I got into it. I decided to pony up a bit more money and buy a complete system from Green Leaf Aquariums. If you don't mind spending a bit more I'd recommend that, get it all in one shot from a quality place. They have great customer service too. Orlando from there will assist you with any questions you have and his response time via email is amazing, even on weekends.

· Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,584 Posts
+1

I got a used GLA Choice regulator and it is awesome. I don't think they sell my particular model anymore but they have quality regulators at somewhat reasonable prices. Don't skimp on regulator parts if you make one yourself. It's worth the money to get good parts that will last forever / not fail and gas your fish in the long term.

· Administrator
12,174 Posts
I would love to custom build one finding parts at a good price, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there anyone on this forum that builds co2 systems?
There are several users that custom build setups. I would check the For Sale subsection of these forums to look, or post a WTB (wanting to buy) advertisement in the appropriate subforum.

· Registered
666 Posts
I felt the same way. I was scared to death to set it up, didn't know what to buy, etc.

AlanLe that posts here helped me with all my questions and built a regulator for me.

He was totally awesome to deal with, very helpful and stands behind what he builds.

Pm him at AlanLe.

After I got the parts from him and bought a tank, it was so simple it was stupid!

· Registered
666 Posts
You can't go wrong getting him to build it for you. He's awesome! He answered questions non-stop. LOL

Tell him Sandy said HI!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.