The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a lot of delays in getting my pressurized system up and going but, finally, I had everything assembled, I opened up the cylinder, adjusted the working pressure to 11 psi, adjusted the needle valve and LPR and…nothing. I couldn’t get any bubbles to appear in my bubble counter. There IS a check valve going to the bubble counter but it IS in the correct orientation (I took off the bubble counter and blew into it), so somewhere I did something wrong. I put on the needle valve and LPR to the regulator myself so it’s possible something isn’t right there. Can anyone help?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pull the needle valve out and see if anything is stuck in the hole coming out of the regulator. There might be something stuck in the needle valve itself. From the looks of it everything appears to be set up correctly. If you get pressure on the Low pressure regulator then the gauges, and regulator are okay.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
footbeat: I’m not sure what the cracking pressure is; the check valve came with the bubble counter which I got from FloridaDriftwood. I'll give them a call...

Iillou: I’ll try that. I’ll see if I can’t flush it out if there is anything. It’s good to know the set up looks right; it gives me something to work from.

Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The check valve is actually integrated into the bubble counter. But I blew into the bubble counter so I know that the check valve is oriented right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cracking pressure is how much pressure is needed to open the valve after it has been closed. I inferred that you might have bought a check valve that was not matched to the low pressure side of CO2 systems. I would think that if it came with the bubble counter, it should be fine. When I reread your post, it ocurred to me that if you can blow through it, then the check valve should be all right.

I would try disconnecting all of the pieces, add them back one by one and crank open the CO2 flow to isolate which part is the culprit. Then work from there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
your LPR is not adjusted properly,you should turn it in (clockwise) ,then go back out CCW and count how many turns it takes to go back out ,lets say 10 turns,then go back in 5 or 6 turns ,that is where it should be .

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, this is a cylinder of CO2 that I've had sitting around full for about 5 years and am just now finally setting up. :redface: When I got it *****d up 5 years ago it was at Airgas on 3rd. I don't know if that's the best place or not; you might check with SFBAABS and see what other folks are doing. That's what I was planning on doing a year and a half from now when I need to get my cylinder re*****d.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, this is a cylinder of CO2 that I've had sitting around full for about 5 years and am just now finally setting up. :redface: When I got it *****d up 5 years ago it was at Airgas on 3rd. I don't know if that's the best place or not; you might check with SFBAABS and see what other folks are doing. That's what I was planning on doing a year and a half from now when I need to get my cylinder re*****d.
I checked the SFBAAPS website reference page for CO2 refilling, and there wasn't a shop located in SF. I did see Air Gas listed but it seems they have multiple locations and I wasn't sure if there was one in the city. I know Aqua Forest fills CO2 but the other day I asked they said it was $35 for refill and it would take a week, or I could swap w/ aluminum tanks (the one I bought is aluminum so that's fine) but the price seems high. I'll check out Air Gas though, thanks!

Toshi

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
distrbd: I think you may be right; I just tried that and air came through. :icon_smil

I don't know what happened with my last post. Odd deletions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
KDahlin,
I was checking for the address to Air Gas, did you mean the one on 23rd?
*Edit* Nevermind, called and they don't refill, only swap for the same price as Aqua Forest. Guess I'll just go there since it's closer.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Provided the tank has gas in it: Open the LFR and needle valve all the way. Then start adjusting the pressure up--15psi, 20, 30---and see if anything comes out. I would go up to 50-60psi and if nothing comes out--there's a problem! Once you start getting bubbles--you can then crank the psi up a bit more and start adjusting the LFR and needle valve to where you want it.

That looks like a setup from Rex. I have one minus the LFR and setup for 2 tanks. I had to adjust my pressure up to 30psi in order to get a steady, maintainable bubble rate.

HTH

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a set up from Rex.

I tried what Distrbd suggested and finally heard the sound of CO2 whooshing out after I dismantled the tubing from the needle valve. I'm thinking that was the problem but it's good to know I may need to go up to 30 psi with the system. Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hadn't yet hooked it all back together; I just did that now and it's working. Apparently, the LPR was the problem. I didn't know about turning it all the way in and then back 5-6 turns; that made all the difference. It's good to go! :biggrin:

Thanks for your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.