The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late I have been developing this thread like algea on the front glass were the outflow of my co2 dispensing powerhead flows. I have tried looking at some algea definitions and cant seem to ID it, its sort of like thread algea only I couldnt find references to thread growing on the glass or have anything to do with co2? Its brownish with a bit of green (looks a bit more green in the flash pic), and wipes off very easily. Its very hard to tell if there are individual strands, if they are they are very short. Here is a picture, with a white backing to try to see it better:

Any ideas?

[click for larger pic]

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
If it breaks apart easily, I doubt it's clado. Never seen something like that grow on the glass.

Have you tried cleaning it as best you can and then seeing if it comes back?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same algae and it is growing in the same place. It is growing on the glass in front of the return for the water. It grows thicker I you leave it, I think it is blue-green algae.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
this is not BGA
I see branches so I think it could be clado, just growing on some preexisting GDA or something allowing it to adhear. I would get a bunch of Amanos and see if they go after it. <and obviously clean out what you can and do a water change>

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That kinda looks like what I'm having a problem with. I moved my spraybar to a vertical postion when I got my glass diffusor a month ago, and now all along the subsrate and glosso where there is substantially more water flow than before, is growing this brown hair like algae. You can pick it out as much as you can and within a day, it will grow back and also be on other plants as well.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would get a bunch of Amanos and see if they go after it.
Well the smallest shrimp I have dared try is a pair of 3" - 3.5" Atyopsis Moluccensis since I have several types of loaches including some clowns around the 4" length so far. I was wondering, if in the presence of a current against the glass would something like GDA form into flowing patterns and make it look like thread or hair? I ask because although it looks threadlike, it appears to just be a pattern on the glass the closer I investigaste it. I am not worried about algea eaters, I have some SAE's and otto's amd other algea nibbling fish, and this stuff wipes off really easy. I've bumped my CO2 up a smidgen more to see what happens as well. Seems a bit high but I have yet to see any problems with fish and only some of my plants a pearling. I am just using a powerhead and misting it though, which could account for the high bubblerate needed. Up to around 3bps in the 75G.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Well the smallest shrimp I have dared try is a pair of 3" - 3.5" Atyopsis Moluccensis since I have several types of loaches including some clowns around the 4" length so far. I was wondering, if in the presence of a current against the glass would something like GDA form into flowing patterns and make it look like thread or hair? I ask because although it looks threadlike, it appears to just be a pattern on the glass the closer I investigaste it. I am not worried about algea eaters, I have some SAE's and otto's amd other algea nibbling fish, and this stuff wipes off really easy. I've bumped my CO2 up a smidgen more to see what happens as well. Seems a bit high but I have yet to see any problems with fish and only some of my plants a pearling. I am just using a powerhead and misting it though, which could account for the high bubblerate needed. Up to around 3bps in the 75G.
yeah with your loaches, Amanos are out of the question. I am not saying it IS GDA, i am saying maybe the clado is attaching to existing GDA. Nonetheless, upping the CO2 is imperative. Clean off everything you possibly can.....spot treat with excel....water changes. 3bps is what I run, and I have a diffusor, so try using a drop checker to see what your try concentration is. You may have to up it to 4-5bps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts