The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello forum,

New to the forum but have been a lurker for a year or so and pressurized CO2. I'm looking to get a regulator but I'm not sure which one to pick up and I'm not trying to spend a ton of money so I'm looking for a budget one. I have found these on eBay tell me what you guys think. If none of these please let me know which ones you recommend.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've heard the Aquateks are not reliable long term, they often fail and they have very bad customer service

the Milwaukee are supposed to be pretty good, although a bit touchy to fine tune and they are not as constant as some of the higher end models.

how handy are you? would you be willing to build your own?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello forum,

New to the forum but have been a lurker for a year or so and pressurized CO2. I'm looking to get a regulator but I'm not sure which one to pick up and I'm not trying to spend a ton of money so I'm looking for a budget one. I have found these on eBay tell me what you guys think. If none of these please let me know which ones you recommend.

Thanks in advance
Through my personally experience, my advice would be to get the best Co2 regulator that you can afford. It will definitely save you much frustration and further spending in the long term.

You can try this company in the UK. Affordable shipping charges and best off all, very good after service.

CO2 Regulators & Solenoids | Aquarium Accessories | CO2Art.co.uk

Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the states.... I rock with aquateks... No problems as if yet.... Heard people with a lot of problems from the off-brand Chinese junk... Milwaukee I have also seen work well long term. Just make sure you buy the correct 110 volt/220 volt model to your country... And the correct fitting for your co2 tank you plan on running .... I use an aquatek mini. It's specifically made for a paintball canister.... Costs me 4$ a refill and can buy a box of tanks off Craigslist for 20 bucks lol...I'm all about doing this on a budget as well. And I'm definitely not competent enough to pull off building my own lol. But spending the extra 20 bucks on a good reg will save you a ton of headaches down the line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how handy are you? would you be willing to build your own?
A little I have no idea how hard it would be.

Bump: @Darkblade48 Sorry I didn't know eBay links are not allowed.

Bump:
Through my personally experience, my advice would be to get the best Co2 regulator that you can afford. It will definitely save you much frustration and further spending in the long term.

You can try this company in the UK. Affordable shipping charges and best off all, very good after service.

CO2 Regulators & Solenoids | Aquarium Accessories | CO2Art.co.uk

Cheers.
What do you think of this one?

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections/regulators-solenoids/products/aquarium-co2-regulator-dual-gauged-solenoid-magnetic-valve

I'm in the states.... I rock with aquateks... No problems as if yet.... Heard people with a lot of problems from the off-brand Chinese junk... Milwaukee I have also seen work well long term. Just make sure you buy the correct 110 volt/220 volt model to your country... And the correct fitting for your co2 tank you plan on running .... I use an aquatek mini. It's specifically made for a paintball canister.... Costs me 4$ a refill and can buy a box of tanks off Craigslist for 20 bucks lol...I'm all about doing this on a budget as well. And I'm definitely not competent enough to pull off building my own lol. But spending the extra 20 bucks on a good reg will save you a ton of headaches down the line.
I was thinking about the Aquateks the most, good to know you don't have any problems with yours. I do have a 10 LB CO2 tank ready too go, just have to find a decent regulator for cheap.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have two milwaukees and only problem is taking time to fine tune the needle valve or change it out for a better one like ideal.One is two years and the other is 1,1/2 years.Better out there bur for a budget it is a good starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have two milwaukees and only problem is taking time to fine tune the needle valve or change it out for a better one like ideal.One is two years and the other is 1,1/2 years.Better out there bur for a budget it is a good starter.
Thank you, I have been reading good reviews on Milwaukees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
209 Posts
From what I read on this forum they are much more reliable than both Aquateks and Milwaukee but some people did have problems with their dual stage regulator. At least their customer service is great so if you have issues they will help fix it or replace it. This promotion are brand new design so you wont have much feedback on them but you can send them a email and ask questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So between the Milwaukee $99.99, Aquatek $79.99, and CO2art $62.99 (plus $30 for shipping so I can get it at a decent time), what do you guys recommend. Keep in mind with the CO2art I am in the USA FL.

Thanks

Bump: Tying to stay under $100 for the reg

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So between the Milwaukee $99.99, Aquatek $79.99, and CO2art $62.99 (plus $30 for shipping so I can get it at a decent time), what do you guys recommend. Keep in mind with the CO2art I am in the USA FL.

Thanks

Bump: Tying to stay under $100 for the reg
You should try and post in the WTB section and see if anyone has one for sale from this site.

I built my own regulator setup about 3 months ago and am happy with how it turned out. With that I also spent around $300 doing so, but it was fun for me.

I believe the issues with the aquatek and the Milwaukee regs stem from the cheaper needle valves they use.

In the end I think you would be better off to save your money and buy the best one you can afford. Also pm AlanLe and see what he can build you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Although I have never built a regulator, I have done a tremendous amount of research on what we in the aquarium community use them for and ended up buying a gla-gro1 about 3 months go and a 5# tank from a local airgas supplier. Through my research, I've come to the conclusion that if you can drive a screw into a board with a screw driver, you can pretty much assemble a co2 regulator.

Search online for brewing supply companies that have a "new old stock" section. You can usually find cornelius/taprite regulators (the same that gla uses) for around $30-$40 that have a high and low pressure guage with a cga-320 stem/nut. Then just get a decent solenoid (if you even wanted one, budget wise, you could always add one down the road) and a metering valve. Both of which just basically screw together with some fittings, just pay attention to left or right handed threads. You can also DIY pretty decent bubble counters for really cheap. I've seen people online use glass eye dropper tubes and test tubes for inline bubble counters. Gla also sells a nice inline glass one for 28 bucks I think.

You can get paintball tank adapters for them too if your budget doesn't warrant the cost of a full sized co2 tank.

Going this route may be a little over your $100 range even with skipping the solenoid and also depending on the metering valve and fittings and other add-ons, but IMO, you would have a more reliable and well built regulator than most if not all of the sub $100 regulators on the market.

You would also educate yourself on something that you didn't know about before and get a better understanding on how the regulator works and what it does. I've never minded spending a little more money (whenever possible, I understand trying to stay on a lower budget and that it isn't always possible thus, plan b) when I knew I would be learning something usefull in the end.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Victor - VTS 450D $40 ebay 2012

By the time you add up everything it came to $300. I was using fermenting wine yeast for CO2 several months before I got a pressurized system.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What is the average price everyone is spending on regulators? I did a quick search on Amazon yesterday and found prices exceeding $300. I can get a tank for $110 or so but $300+ for a regulator is expensive. Granted, I only want to buy this once and not have to deal with it again so it has to last. I was told brands like Victor, Matheson, Fabco in the other thread about pressurized co2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts