The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get pieces for a 75gal the wife wants me to move our 55 gal into. I've had this regulator for probably 10 years. It's from a keg setup I got from a bar I helped demo. I also have a 20lb bottle along with it.

Regulator was rebuilt by my buddy that worked at weld shop and hasn't been used since. Just been stored in a box in the closest.

The bottle was on the keg setup and still has gas in it. My dad got tired of me storing t at his house in the closet and moved it outside. I can get a new bottle of need be but if not great.

Just curious if could be used or if should just bite the bullet and get a new one.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Regulator can probably be used, depending on its condition (and whether the diaphragm is not broken). The outside looks like it could use some work, but that's just aesthetics.

You will want to remove the hose barb outlet.

For the CO2 cylinder, you will want to check the date of the last hydro testing to ensure it is safe. You will be unable to refill it otherwise.

Also, Flatland was an excellent book.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
There is an extensive post on TPT by bettatail on how to test a regulator.
Yours looks like a single stage - do read up on EOTD and the ways to prevent it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks my saltwater buddy got back with me this after noon and offered help me build a Ss one when I'm ready. So I'll probably go that route and get a new bottle.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
To add, SS is for looks only. It does not provide any edge in performance / durability in the aquarium application, except cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.