The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't think I've seen anyone do this. What I mean is, installing a straight metering valve sideways, instead of using an elbow connector. It should work, if I'm using a SS check valve instead of a bubble counter, correct? I know the one I have doesn't fit the Burkert 6011 solenoid, but if I find one that does, this should work. The reason why I'm thinking about this, is because angle metering valves can be hard to find for a bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There are many ways to skin a cat and I'm sure what you're suggesting has been done. This should work fine. You could also use what you have in many different ways. Looks like you've got an elbow before the solenoid. You could theoretically remove that elbow which would position the solenoid differently and have the metering valve coming off of that too.

The only thing you need to be concerned about is the size of the connection and the type of thread. So long as that matches you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You need a 1/8 male x 1/4 female reducer to mount the needle valve. It will be very long from the solenoid down to the valve.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need a 1/8 male x 1/4 female reducer to mount the needle valve. It will be very long from the solenoid down to the valve.

It would be very long. I think it would look good if my VCR connectors wouldn’t be welded on the output side. If it weren’t, I’d connect the Burkert solenoid right on the regulator with an adapter,and then elbow down to the straight metering valve. Maybe I should create a 3D model of each of these on Sketchup 3D so I can better demonstrate.

I found someone’s picture that kinda illustrates what I’m talking about.
http://i.imgur.com/yNSzdTn.jpg

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I think the people who have responded know what you're asking, and have answered. But unless we've all misunderstood what you were asking, the link you've provided is not what you're talking about. The pic you've linked is a from-above pic of a horizontal straight-pattern hoke 1300 needle valve. From a frontal view, that valve would be coming straight toward you. It's just coming out of the regulator from a 7 or 8 o'clock position on the regulator body, and then turning forward. The handle of that valve is still pointing straight up.

Yes, you can do it. Yes, it will work fine. Whether you prefer the handle of a straight-pattern valve to be pointing up, or forward, is your call.

There are adapters that have male 1/8" NPT on one end and female 1/4" NPT on the other end, available for just a few bucks shipped from Evilbay. So the fitting will only add maybe 1" toward whatever direction you like.

After the valve, you can go with a barb or compression fitting, or an elbow with a barb or compression fitting in whatever direction you'd like.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the people who have responded know what you're asking, and have answered. But unless we've all misunderstood what you were asking, the link you've provided is not what you're talking about. The pic you've linked is a from-above pic of a horizontal straight-pattern hoke 1300 needle valve. From a frontal view, that valve would be coming straight toward you. It's just coming out of the regulator from a 7 or 8 o'clock position on the regulator body, and then turning forward. The handle of that valve is still pointing straight up.

Yes, you can do it. Yes, it will work fine. Whether you prefer the handle of a straight-pattern valve to be pointing up, or forward, is your call.

There are adapters that have male 1/8" NPT on one end and female 1/4" NPT on the other end, available for just a few bucks shipped from Evilbay. So the fitting will only add maybe 1" toward whatever direction you like.

After the valve, you can go with a barb or compression fitting, or an elbow with a barb or compression fitting in whatever direction you'd like.
Yes, I understand. I’m just talking about the Burkert Solenoid right on the regulator, instead of after the elbow.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Yeah, you can do that too. It will just extend the outlet a little farther. You can have the regulator, then a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer, then the solenoid, then a 1/8 to 1/4 reducer, then metering valve, then 1/4 to 1/8 reducer, or barb ...anything will work. If you go with everything in a straight line, it'll be really long. One or two elbows will make it more compact. But it's your canvas. Paint whatever you want!

The only component that should be mounted in a specific direction is the bubble counter, if you have one mounted (you don't have to). All the rest can be whatever direction, or combination of directions, you want.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Why dont you use a 1/8 mnpt x 1/4 fnpt elbow to attach the needle valve and use a 1/4 fnpt x 1/4 tube adapter to connect the tubing and call it a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.