The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at ways to protect the CO2 value settings from inadvertent bumps. Right now I have the CO2 in the cabinet under the tank with the other systems. I don't want to move it out as there is no aesthetic place to put it, but it is a little crowded in there. Its my first CO2 setup and I must have already inadvertently bumped the needle valve while I was pushing the tank around to get to the filters. I have a safety check that anytime I'm working near the CO2 or have to move it, I do a bubble count check (turning on the solenoid if it is off that time of day) to make sure its set correctly. After moving stuff around it was set at multiples of the desired rate. Luckily my check caught it or that would have been a big problem to livestock.

I have not turned up anything in web searches. Is there such a product as a CO2 regulator cover? I'm thinking something rigid like a clear acrylic box that maybe attaches to the main stem of the CO2 tank and prevents anything from directly touching any of the three valves (as well as protecting the fragile gauges and bubble counter glass). Perhaps a hinged front or lift-off design so you can open it and change settings. I'm using the CO2Art SE, they do not have such a product. Maybe something can be repurposed but I can't think of what yet.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
There are anti-tempering design or devices on the industrial grade regulators, and precision metering valves, but for your co2 system, I think you have to come up with creative way...

may be a little bit of hot glue will lock the regulator handle and the needle valve handle in place, but I don't know if your regulator and needle valve will lock the output pressure and flow rate exactly the same as when you initially set it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are anti-tempering design or devices on the industrial grade regulators, and precision metering valves, but for your co2 system, I think you have to come up with creative way...

may be a little bit of hot glue will lock the regulator handle and the needle valve handle in place, but I don't know if your regulator and needle valve will lock the output pressure and flow rate exactly the same as when you initially set it.
Might be a good idea for a new product! It's hard to believe that as critical as those settings are that nobody has thought of how to lock them down.

Bump:

Might be a good idea for a new product! It's hard to believe that as critical as those settings are that nobody has thought of how to lock them down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you like the system overall? I’m thinking of buying one as my first.
The co2art system is nice, solid and they make it easy to order all the stuff you need at once.

However when I was at the co2 shop (Roberts oxygen where I am), they had two stage regulators there for same price that just seemed beefier and more “industrial”. I do have to wonder how much I’m paying for chrome and shininess vs durability. Also see my other post, I am having minor trouble with the needle value keeping its setting between on and off cycle. It could be user error, don’t know yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.