The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my CO2 system and to be honest I read a few threads but not ALL. Meaning I am sure my question has been answered before but I am having a hard time finding it. I got a 20# CO2 gas tank and a Doctor Fosters semi auto system, btw if anyone ever bought one of these they would now the instructions are worthless. So anyways, I set everything up and now I am @ the point of opening the gas valve, After opening it the left,closer to the exit side meter went sky rocketing passed 10 then you could here air escape through the escape valve, I assume a sure sign of to much pressure. So I tighten the valve on the gas and monitored it. after a few minutes I had no pressure, I then reopened the gas tank valve slowly and then it would shoot up and release again, I re tighten a bit and watch it loose pressure again. Am I doing this wrong? I did read in a thread to open the CO2 gas valve till it "hits Stop"?! What does "Hits stop" mean? Should I open it all the way and just control the needle valve and it should stop releasing through the escape valve eventually?? Thank you for any help.

BTW I have a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank and have decided after 4 years to plant some real plants:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had just finished reading Rex's guide when I saw a response. I would like to note that it still didn't solve my problem then. I tried opening the valve all the way and I still hear air comming out of the blow off valve, is this normal? And Rex does mention some of the regulaters having 30 steps just on how to open the valve as to not damage the regulator..... Any thoughts????

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
1). Attach the reg to the tank REALLY hard. make sure you don't misthread the connection. Be sure to put one of the plastic washers in the connection.
2). Repeat step 1. One most twist on that wrench!
3). Open the tank valve.
4). Adjust the needle valve as necessary. This is the only adjustment on the Azoo reg.

and yes, i AM stalking you :icon_cool

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, That is too funny. how the hell do you count 2-3 bubbles a second? I just opened the tank all the way open and since it is obviously a pressure release valve that is making noise I opened up the needle valve and the noise ie released pressure went away, but now I think it is more then 2-3 bubbles, the glass infuser is rattling a bit. Is this normal? Oh I forgot it is tight , monkey wrench tight, the noise loss air is coming from the Blow Off valve...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
URRRRR>>>>>>> The CO2 system power just shut down for the night and the blow off valve is blowing gas.... I think my regulator is bad ..... or do I have to close the tank valve every night? HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woohhhh, sounded rather harsh on my part when I read it again, had to edit it. :icon_redf Here is the picture Rex..... thats an arrow:icon_roll sort of....:)

Didn't mess with the nut. Just hooked up and opened valve.....

Also note that the gauge went down once I closed the valve and turnd on the solenoid to let the pressure run out ....

·
Registered
712 Posts
looks like the pressure relief valve is working as it supposed to. it's hard to see from your pictures, but your low side pressure looks pegged at full scale (> 140psi). do you have it wide open? try dialing back the low-side pressure if your regulator isn't damaged already. if you already have it closed or at low pressure and it's still pegged, the unit is probably faulty. the solenoids also have a max pressure rating, so hopefully it's still in working order.
-snafu

edit: just realized when i wrote that a minute ago, i was assuming a variable output regulator. after checking out a review of it on apc, it looks like it's a fixed output regulator. so, like someone else mentioned, it's likely faulty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read a thread where the fellow had the same issue as I. I was sadden :frown: when I saw that his problem was fixed by a quick turn on the nut. Of course mine is preset. :icon_roll I am sure they have them set for morons like me that are new and keep breaking things :D Thanks to everyone for the help, happy cultivating....:fish:

·
Registered
560 Posts
re azoo reg

I have an azoo reg it is adjustable.
Loosen the centre nut
To adjust output pressure adjust the large nut behind it.
Tighten the centre nut and you're done.
Cheers
Botia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.