The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is selling this reg and tank in my town for $100 I wanted to know if any of you recognize it and if it's a good deal? I asked if they know the brand and they said no, all they see on the gauges is abs lol.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you guys think. I would be using it on a 60P.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Depends on the details that we can't see. Things like the date on the tank which tells if has been more than five years since inspected. that can be $25-40 in places. What gauges? Are they useful at our level or are they way to hide to be much help. Standard threads for the country you are in so that parts can be added without a big hassle or a different type?
Generally the price would appear to be fine but the devil is in the details.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you are new to tanks, some more info?
The date is stamped somewhere near the top of the tank It may show the tank size like 5,10,20 and then the month, a stamp showing who did the test and then the year. Good for five years and called a hydro test by some. It may look like this. I might guess it is still god as it looks like a fairly new tank but pays to check and/or ask around where you will buy the gas to find what they do on the charge for testing. Some it's high, while other times they cover it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Im new to this, but is that bad? Can I not use it for a freshwater set up?

But from what I see all the things he's selling was freshwater specifically.
It can absolutely be used in a freshwater set up .
For me personally, i would be concerned if the external corrosion has occurred on the internal components ( gauges etc.)

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
That looks like a case of not doing his housekeeping very well!!
I see nothing that would keep me from buying it but still the date on the tank is not shown. If you have questioned the date and not gotten a better answer than the picture above, be skeptical! Not wanting to accuse anybody but there are those who try to avoid the answer when it seems to their advantage?
For our use, most of us do want a solenoid. It is an electronic "switch" to turn the gas flow on and off using a timer. Most of us don't want to go in and do it manually every day. Second is a needle valve. This is where we can fine tune the flow by precisely opening or closing a tiny little hole. What you may have is a start on a system and with some added parts, it might fit the job.
Not a complete set for what most of us want but a start?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.