The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2KG empty cannister of Co2 and need it refilled. I went to maidenhead aquatics today and got quoted £38, this seemed a bit steep? I have looked for fire extinguisher companies local to me (Hampshire, UK) but can't find any.

Does £38 seem resonable to you guys for 2kg of Co2???

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
that's like 50-60 dollars for a 4 lb refill... thats way to much!
LFS overcharge, probably also because they don't have a refill station and have to ship it to a company for refill.
Try to find a welding shop in your area or a brewer or so. If you don't find any, go to your Local bar and ask who refills there co2 bottles.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm in the US, so cost comparison probably isn't relevant but it costs me $18 to fill a 5lb cylinder at a nearby welding supply shop.

Is there a welding supply company nearby? Industrial costs for this sort of thing is often less than consumer costs.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Another option is to find an industrial gas retailer. These are usually the places welders etc. go to get their gas. I am in the US but CO2 is pretty cheap at these places. For example, 5lb. tank refill was $25. 10lb tank refill was $28 haha. The cost isn't in the gas, it is in the labor to refill the tanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow you guys are getting it a lot cheaper, I have found a couple of local welders going to ring them and see what they say. If not I will look for an industrial gas retailer.

Roughly how long should a 2kg last on a 200gallon tank?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wow you guys are getting it a lot cheaper, I have found a couple of local welders going to ring them and see what they say. If not I will look for an industrial gas retailer.

around 1 month, depends on diffusion, surface movement,...

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
wow that is pricey, everyone's is pricey lol. I get my 5lb tank filled for 8.00 at a fire extinguisher company near by. You might need to travel a bit out of your area to find a good place, but man any distance would be worth the trip instead of paying that price.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts

around 1 month, depends on diffusion, surface movement,...
I would say between 3 and 9 months, depending entirely on how much you bubble into the tank! I have a 10lb tank which equates 4.5kg. It supplies a 250gal and 36gal tank for almost a year, but I don't max out CO2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.